Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problem 7-20

• Thread starter MARX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, the conversation discussed the problem of a circular hoop suspended in a horizontal plane by three strings, showing that the frequency of small rotational oscillations about the vertical through the center of the hoop is the same as that for a simple pendulum of length l. The discussion also mentioned the use of Lagrangian equations and the calculation of the center of mass's height during rotation.
MARX

Homework Statement

circular hoop is suspended in a horizontal plane by three strings, each of length l, which are attached symmetrically to the hoop and are connected to fixed points lying in a plane above the hoop. At equilibrium, each string is vertical. Show that the frequency of small rotational oscillations about the vertical through the center of the hoop is the same as that for a simple pendulum of length l.

Homework Equations

L = T - U

The Attempt at a Solution

NOT HOMEWORK SELF LEARNING

OK my main problem here is understanding how this is happening if the support is fixed in a plane and length stays l and hoop rotates horizontally then the height of the center of mass should not change
I need help clarifying the picture here what am I missing
From there it's straightforward to set up the Lagrangian
[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org

zwierz said:

OK thanks again
but I didn't sense from this the the center of mass of the hoop has risen
so U=O?

you are not obliged to understand anything a priori. Just write equations of constraints

My calculation gives the follows. If##\psi## is a small angle of hoop's rotation then the height of the center of mass is ##\frac{r^2}{2l}\psi^2+o(\psi^2)##, here ##r## is hoop's radius

FAQ: Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problem 7-20

1. What is the Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problem 7-20?

The Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problem 7-20 is a problem in classical mechanics that involves analyzing the motion of a rigid body using Newton's laws of motion.

2. What are the key concepts involved in this problem?

The key concepts involved in this problem include the concepts of torque, angular momentum, and rotational motion. The problem also requires an understanding of how to apply Newton's second law to rotational motion.

3. How do I approach solving this problem?

To solve this problem, you should first draw a free body diagram of the rigid body and identify all the forces acting on it. Then, apply the equations of rotational motion to determine the angular acceleration and solve for the unknown variables.

4. What are some common challenges when solving this problem?

Some common challenges when solving this problem include correctly identifying all the forces and moments acting on the body, understanding how to apply the equations of rotational motion, and knowing which variables to solve for.

5. Why is it important to understand the Marion and Thornton Dynamics Problem 7-20?

Understanding this problem is important because it allows us to analyze the motion of rigid bodies, which is applicable in many real-world situations such as analyzing the motion of vehicles, machinery, and structures. It also helps to develop problem-solving skills and a deeper understanding of classical mechanics principles.