Markov chain calibration to a set of cumulated frequencies.

In summary, the problem is to find an approximation method for the transition matrix, T, that minimizes the difference between the probabilities of default given for each year and the probabilities of default calculated using T^n. The objective function is non-linear and the constraints are that the rows of T must sum to 1 and the last row must have a 0, 0, 1 configuration. The method suggested is least squares and data is available for n=1 to 40.
ibimbo

Homework Statement

Hi!
I have been given such a task:
A population of firms can assume three states: good-bad-bankrupt (default)
The cumulated frequencies of default (DP) from year 1 to 10 are given.
Find an appropriate transition matrix (TM)

I'm given a matrix of historical cumulated frequencies of default like this:

DP =

firm type/year
1 2 3 and so on
good 0.7 0.5 0.3
bad 0.8 0.6 0.4

and i have to find a transition matrix which looks like the following

TM=
good bad default
good ? ? ?
bad ? ? ?
default 0 0 1

Homework Equations

TM^n
gives the transition matrix from year 1 to n, and specifically the column "default" will show the cumulative frequencies of defaults in year n.

The Attempt at a Solution

Basically i have to minimize the difference between the defaults column of the TM and the cumulated frequencies (DP) i am given for TM^n, with n from 1 to 10 years, therefore i have 10 equations like

Min --> TM^n(last column)-DP(n)

Constraints:
- 1st and 2nd row have to sum to 1
- last row has to be 0,0,1

I would appreciate if someone could help me to frame this problem ;)

Hint: i read on a paper that was doing that exercise they used "least squares", but in my studies i have never gone beyond fitting a time series, while here i have a matrix annd i am completely lost :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, anyone? :(

If you want help, you'll have to frame it in mathematical terms. Let me try and understand. You have a list of probabilities for a firm to default, one vector for each year, D(n), given a firm's state in year 1. You want to find the 3x3 transition matrix, T, such that a firm in default stays in default with probability 1 and that after n years the probability that a firm will go into default is as close as possible to the given probabilities for that year, i.e. T^n - D(n) is minimal.

Is the problem asking for an exact, symbolic minimization or some sort of regression, best fit algorithmic approach?

hi thanks for helping out!

The Default state is absorbing, meaning the prob for a defaulted firm to become good or bad is 0, hence the last row of my transition matrix is [0,0,1].

I was told to find an approximation method, suggesting least squares.

However i would not know how to set up the problem, as in my studies i have just come across rather simple OLS or linear programming problems, while this is a bit more complicated, because the objective function doesn't look any linear.

Unknown: Transition Matrix (T)

Problem: Min(T^n-D(n))

-by T^n i mean the last column which contains the probabilities to migrate to Default State.
- D(n) data is available for n=1 to 40

sub
- T(Good,Good)+T(Good,Bad)+T(Good,Default)=1
- T(Bad,Good)+T(Bad,Bad)+T(Bad,Default)=1

- T(Default,Default)=1 T(Default,Good)=0 T(Default,Bad)=0

Last edited:

Related to Markov chain calibration to a set of cumulated frequencies.

1. What is a Markov chain?

A Markov chain is a mathematical model that describes a sequence of events where the probability of each event depends only on the state of the previous event.

2. What is the purpose of calibrating a Markov chain to a set of cumulated frequencies?

The purpose of calibrating a Markov chain to a set of cumulated frequencies is to adjust the transition probabilities in the chain so that they accurately reflect the observed frequencies of events in a given dataset.

3. How is a Markov chain calibrated to a set of cumulated frequencies?

To calibrate a Markov chain to a set of cumulated frequencies, the transition probabilities are adjusted through a process of iterative optimization until the chain produces a sequence of events that closely matches the observed data.

4. What are the applications of Markov chain calibration?

Markov chain calibration has a wide range of applications, including modeling financial markets, weather patterns, and biological systems. It is also commonly used in machine learning and artificial intelligence algorithms.

5. Are there any limitations to using Markov chain calibration?

One limitation of Markov chain calibration is that it assumes the transition probabilities remain constant over time, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Additionally, the accuracy of the calibration is highly dependent on the quality and size of the dataset used.