Masonary Wall Design for water tank

In summary: I was also considering a third option: Above ground with a tamped Earth bund all around it for support.That is also a valid option.
rollingstein
Gold Member
Are there any good design resources on masonary wall design? Specifically, I was considering an above-ground, open-to-sky, rectangular tank storing approx. 25 m3 of water in it.

Is it possible / economical to build such a tank out of masonary alone or does an RCC construction become economical above a certain size? Is there a hybrid design possible with reinforced concrete columns with masonary wall sections spanning the area between vertical columns?

mlmmxpC.png

PS. Note that the final design will be done and approved by a certified civil engineer but I only wanted a preliminary design estimate at the moment for costing & initial design purposes.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
rollingstein said:
Are there any good design resources on masonary wall design? Specifically, I was considering an above-ground, open-to-sky, rectangular tank storing approx. 25 m3 of water in it.

Is it possible / economical to build such a tank out of masonary alone or does an RCC construction become economical above a certain size? Is there a hybrid design possible with reinforced concrete columns with masonary wall sections spanning the area between vertical columns?

mlmmxpC.png

PS. Note that the final design will be done and approved by a certified civil engineer but I only wanted a preliminary design estimate at the moment for costing & initial design purposes.
Just eyeballing this project, with no civil engineering experience whatsoever, the construction of this tank is going to depend on the dimensions to a certain extent. The construction of a tank which measures 1m tall by 5 m wide by 5 m long is going to be somewhat different from a tank which is 1 m wide by 1 m long by 25 m tall.

Is this tank supposed to be free-standing, or will it be partially or completely buried in the earth?

Hmmm... 1 m x 5 m x 5 m, open to air, full of water... Hmmmm...

Think. Think. Think. I've seen one of these someplace before. Hmm... But the memory seems to be clouded by a diving board and some lawn furniture.

Likes billy_joule
DEvens said:
Hmmm... 1 m x 5 m x 5 m, open to air, full of water... Hmmmm...

Think. Think. Think. I've seen one of these someplace before. Hmm... But the memory seems to be clouded by a diving board and some lawn furniture.
Even a lot of those "tanks" have reinforced construction ...

SteamKing said:
Is this tank supposed to be free-standing, or will it be partially or completely buried in the earth?

Both options are OK so long as a majority of the tank is above ground.

I was also considering a third option: Above ground with a tamped Earth bund all around it for support.

srBQxMi.png

SteamKing said:
Even a lot of those "tanks" have reinforced construction ...

Exactly. The idea is to see if the reinforced concrete can be either eliminated or at least reduced to its use for columns alone.

Basically, just like a house can be built on load bearing columns with the floor structure transmitting their load to the columns is a similar design possible for a tank wall? Can a masonry span transmit its load to periodic columns?

SteamKing said:
The construction of a tank which measures 1m tall by 5 m wide by 5 m long is going to be somewhat different from a tank which is 1 m wide by 1 m long by 25 m tall.

You are right.

I'd prefer a somewhat long tank rather than a square one for this purpose.

Something like a 6 x 2 by 2.5 tall (To allow some free-board without spillage over the top the total volume could be 30 m2 with a 25 m2 of actual water)

rollingstein said:
Exactly. The idea is to see if the reinforced concrete can be either eliminated or at least reduced to its use for columns alone.

Basically, just like a house can be built on load bearing columns with the floor structure transmitting their load to the columns is a similar design possible for a tank wall? Can a masonry span transmit its load to periodic columns?

Like concrete, masonry is good in compression, not so good in tension. Due to the nature of the hydrostatic loading on the masonry walls, even if columns are used, you can expect bending to occur between the columns and tensile loadings in the stone on the outside.

From what I understand, most pools built below ground use some type of re-bar to prevent the sides from flexing.

Related to Masonary Wall Design for water tank

1. What materials are commonly used for masonry wall design in water tanks?

The most commonly used materials for masonry wall design in water tanks are concrete blocks, bricks, and stone. These materials are strong, durable, and able to withstand the weight and pressure of the water in the tank.

2. How do you determine the thickness of masonry walls for a water tank?

The thickness of masonry walls for a water tank is determined by several factors, including the height of the tank, the capacity of the tank, and the type of material used. Generally, thicker walls are needed for taller and larger capacity tanks to ensure structural integrity and prevent leakage.

3. What type of reinforcement is needed for masonry walls in water tank design?

The type of reinforcement needed for masonry walls in water tank design depends on the size and height of the tank. Generally, steel reinforcement, such as rebar, is used to add strength and stability to the walls. The placement and spacing of the reinforcement will also vary based on the specific design requirements.

4. How do you ensure the water tank's masonry walls are waterproof?

To ensure the masonry walls of a water tank are waterproof, a waterproofing membrane is typically applied to the exterior surface of the walls. This membrane serves as a barrier to prevent water from penetrating the walls and causing damage. Additionally, proper joint and sealant installation is essential to prevent water from seeping through cracks or gaps in the masonry.

5. Are there any specific considerations for masonry wall design in water tanks located in seismic zones?

Yes, there are specific considerations for masonry wall design in water tanks located in seismic zones. These include using reinforced masonry walls with additional reinforcement at corners and openings, ensuring proper connection between the tank and foundation, and incorporating expansion joints to allow for movement during seismic activity. It is important to consult with a structural engineer to ensure the masonry walls are designed to withstand seismic forces.