Mass and cylinder connected by a pully system

In summary, the cylinder is descending an incline, and the tension in the tape is resisting the upward force of the cylinder.
Houdini176

Homework Statement

A solid cylinder of weight 50 lb (mass=2.3 kg) and radius 3.0 in (7.6 cm) has a light thin tape wound around it. The tape passes over a light, smoother fixed pulley to a 10-lb (mass=4.5 kg) body, hanging vertically. If the plane on which the cylinder moves is inclined 30 degrees to the horizontal, find a) the linear acceleration of the cylinder down the incline and b) the tension in the tape, assuming no slipping.

Homework Equations

I thought I knew how to do this using a conservation of energy approach, but my answers don't match up. I'm also not sure how to do this dynamically. When I try dynamically, the torque created by friction = (ma)/2. I'm not sure how to treat this, does the "a" refer to the overall linear acceleration (or, the linear acceleration of the center of mass) of the body or just the linear acceleration imparted by the frictional force? In another example in this book, when the only torque on the cylinder was friction, the "a" from friction=(ma)/2 and the overall linear acceleration were treated as if they were the same. How should I treat it (friction) and other torques, particularly the acceleration they impart on the body? Also, could someone tell me what I'm doing wrong (see below)? Thanks.

The Attempt at a Solution

MGHc=(MV^2)/2+(Iw^2)/2+MbGHb
MGHc=(MV^2)/2+(MV^2)/4+MbGHb
MGHc=3(MV^2)/4+MbGHb

I'm not so sure about this part, but because there is no slipping, the block should be "reeled in" in by cylinder's rotation as much as it is pulled upward from the cylinder's linear motion. So, Hb=2d and Hc=sin(30)d, where d is the linear distance the cylinder travels along the ramp.

M*G*sin(30)*d=3(MV^2)/4+2MbGd
M*G*sin(30)*d-2*Mb*G*d=3(MV^2)/4
4*G*d*(M*sin(30)-2(Mb))/(3M)=V^2=2ad
a=2*g*(M*sin(30)-2(Mb))/(3M)=0.71 m/2^s, but the answer is 0.47 m/s^2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Make it clear what d means.

ehild

Sorry about that, I edited my post. d is the distance the cylinder travels along the ramp.

Houdini176 said:
d is the distance the cylinder travels along the ramp.

The potential energy of the cylinder should decrease with increasing d.

I think the solution is easier with a free-body diagram and writing equations for the linear and angular accelerations.

Is the tape at the top of the cylinder?

ehild

ehild said:
The potential energy of the cylinder should decrease with increasing d.

I think the solution is easier with a free-body diagram and writing equations for the linear and angular accelerations.

Is the tape at the top of the cylinder?

ehild

Yea, sorry about that the book provides a figure, but I did not. The tape is at the top of the cylinder.

Revise the potential energy.
I attach a drawing, you can edit it with Paint.

ehild

Attachments

• cylindermass.JPG
    cylindermass.JPG
    5.5 KB · Views: 366

Related to Mass and cylinder connected by a pully system

What is a pulley system?

A pulley system is a mechanism that uses a wheel with a groove, called a sheave, and a rope or belt to transfer force from one point to another. It is often used to lift or move heavy objects by reducing the amount of force needed.

How does a pulley system work?

In a pulley system, the rope or belt is looped around the sheave, with one end attached to an object to be moved and the other end pulled by a person or machine. As the rope is pulled, the sheave rotates and the object is moved along the path of the rope.

What is the advantage of using a pulley system?

The main advantage of using a pulley system is that it allows for the reduction of force needed to move an object. This is because the weight of the object is distributed across multiple ropes or belts and multiple sheaves, making it easier to lift or move.

What is the relationship between mass and the force needed to move an object in a pulley system?

In a pulley system, the force needed to move an object is directly proportional to its mass. This means that the heavier the object, the more force is needed to lift or move it.

Can a pulley system be used to increase force?

Yes, a pulley system can also be used to increase force. This is achieved by using multiple ropes or belts and multiple sheaves, which increases the amount of force applied to the object being moved. However, the trade-off is that the distance the object is moved is reduced.