Mass ~ can someone check my answer real quick?

• Thread starter twenty5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass
In summary, my professor told us to use what we can to get the answer quick, so I think Method I is okay. But, Method II incorporates centripetal force and velocity, which may be better.
twenty5

Homework Statement

I have a pendulum sitting at 15 degrees from the vertical, it does 1 revolution every 2 seconds. the chain is 1.0m long. The tension is 2.0N

My question is which Method would be correct? My professor said, that Method I is the same a Method II (the ones I wrote on the solution) except, the resulting mass does not equal each other. He also told us, use what you can do get the answer quick or something... this was the reply when I asked that the second method incorporates centripetal force,velocity, and the radius... while the first one does not?

thank you so much guys, I really need an answer before I present this to him :S I have an exam tomorrow unfortunately.

Homework Equations

Fy = 0 ; -Fg + Ftcos15 = 0
Fx = Ftsin15 = (mv^2)/2

The Attempt at a Solution

provided..
[PLAIN]http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/9695/questionm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure. Are all the data given compatible? Given all the data available to you, both methods seem to be ok.

they both seem to be okay... but the masses are different! I don't want to get this wrong on the test :S

we're solving for the mass. Everything on the diagram is what was given and calculated

I think your step 2 is wrong... Why are you using diameter for the distance in v=d/t?

(On another note, I know some teachers don't like when you put a 0 with a line through it. For example, my teacher says you only use that for an empty set, although I'm not sure if your teachers care.)

iRaid said:
I think your step 2 is wrong... Why are you using diameter for the distance in v=d/t?

(On another note, I know some teachers don't like when you put a 0 with a line through it. For example, my teacher says you only use that for an empty set, although I'm not sure if your teachers care.)

sorry d = distance, I should have put s instead xD

I also put C = 2(pi)r ... = d ... therefore d = C

and naww, I don't think any of my profs care haha.. it's a habit of mine :)

FAQ: Mass ~ can someone check my answer real quick?

1. What is mass and how is it different from weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass remains constant regardless of location, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

2. How is mass measured?

Mass is typically measured using a balance or scale. The SI unit for mass is kilograms (kg), but it can also be measured in other units such as grams (g) or pounds (lbs).

3. Can mass be created or destroyed?

No, according to the Law of Conservation of Mass, mass cannot be created or destroyed. It can only be transferred or converted into other forms of energy.

4. How does mass affect an object's inertia?

Mass is directly proportional to an object's inertia, which is its tendency to resist changes in motion. The greater the mass, the greater the inertia.

5. How does mass affect an object's acceleration?

Mass is inversely proportional to an object's acceleration, meaning that the greater the mass, the smaller the acceleration when a constant force is applied. This is described by Newton's Second Law of Motion (F=ma).