Mass dropped with preloaded spring

In summary, Hesch explains how to calculate xadd, the additional compression of a preloaded spring (initially compressed of xp) on which a mass is dropped from a height "h". The difference in energies (E1 - E2 ) must have been absorbed by the spring, so: (E1 - E2 ) = ∫xadd Fspring(x) dx. When calculating Espring, k*(xp*xadd + ½*xadd2 ) is found to be equal to 0.
carb
Hello everybody,
I'm trying to figure out how to calculate xadd, the additional compression of a preloaded spring (initially compressed of xp) on which a mass is dropped from a height "h".
I also wonder :
- if the final compressed spring length is the same with or without preload ?
- if the spring receive an additional compression xadd >0 whatever the drop height ? (even at h=0.001 ?)

I have some remembering about my academic studies (Energy conservation laws applied to spring) but I feel quite uncomfortable since I did not practice for a long time. Thanks a lot for any kind of help.

before_drop.png
lowest_height.png

Physics news on Phys.org
carb said:
the final compressed spring length is the same with or without preload ?
It is not the same.
carb said:
the spring receive an additional compression xadd >0 whatever the drop height ? (even at h=0.001 ?)
Yes it does.

Consider the energy of the cylinder, just before the frame hits the ground:
E1 = m*g*(L-xp) + ½*m*v2
Now consider the energy, E2 , when the cylinder has been brought to a halt ( last figure ).

The difference in energies: ( E1 - E2 ) must have been absorbed by the spring, so:

( E1 - E2 ) = xadd Fspring(x) dx

Last edited:
Hello Hesch !
Thanks to your help I did it this way :
E1 (just before hit) = m*g*(L-xp) + ½*m*v2 + ½*k*xp2
with v = √(2*g*h)
E2 (just before rebund phase) = m*g*(L -xp -xadd) + 0 + ½*k*(xp + xadd)2

Then E1 = E2 led me to this factorisation form (xadd as variable) :
½*k*xadd2 + (k*xp - m*g)*xadd - m*g*h = 0

but I actually changed my mind about the study result and decided to get xadd as an input and to find the corresponding height ("how high can I drop the cylinder to get exactly 100% of potential energy absorbed by the spring").

==> h = [½*k*xadd2 + (k*xp - m*g)*xadd] / (m*g)

k: 10 000N/m
m: 1kg
g: 9.81 m/s2

Spring
L: 0.010 m
xp: 0.003 m
xadd_max: 0.006 m (considering a minimal spring contiguous wire height of 0.001 m)

calculation led to h_max = 0.0307m (max height avoiding potential energy causing impact on the ground)

to confirm the results, here is what I got using a mechanism simulation software :
(velocity as initial condition of the dynamic study (just before hit) : v = √(2*g*h) = 776.067 mm/s)

Good to see that lowest reached position is 1mm according to minimal spring height used is previous calculation (contiguous wire)
results.png

I hope the results are not accidentally good :nb).
Thanks again Hesch ! :wink:

carb said:
but I actually changed my mind about the study result and decided to get xadd as an input and to find the corresponding height ("how high can I drop the cylinder to get exactly 100% of potential energy absorbed by the spring").
What ?? So you gave up finding an algebraic solution, and started playing with numbers instead ?

Well, I calculated that

E1 = m*g*(L-xp) + ½*m*2*g*h = m*g*(h+L-xp)
E2 = m*g*(L-xp-xadd)

E1-E2 = m*g*(h+xadd)

Espring = k*(xp*xadd + ½*xadd2 )

More calculations leads to:

½*xadd2 + (xp-1)*xadd - h*m*g/k = 0 ( solve xadd )

I'm not sure if this is correct, but anyway it makes sense that the calculations ends up in a 2. order equation, giving two solutions:
One when the box is dropped with the spring below the mass, the other when the box is dropped upside down. :smile:

Hello Hesch,
I need to re-do your calculations now ;)
Thank you for your help and explanation !

Related to Mass dropped with preloaded spring

1. What is "mass dropped with preloaded spring"?

"Mass dropped with preloaded spring" refers to an experiment where a mass is dropped onto a pre-compressed spring, causing the spring to compress and store potential energy.

2. How does the mass affect the spring's compression?

The mass of the object being dropped affects the amount of force exerted on the spring, which in turn affects the amount of compression. A heavier mass will cause a greater compression in the spring.

3. What does the preloaded spring do in this experiment?

The preloaded spring serves as a means of storing potential energy. When the mass is dropped onto the spring, it compresses and stores potential energy, which can then be released as kinetic energy when the spring decompresses.

4. What factors affect the outcome of this experiment?

The main factors that affect the outcome of this experiment are the mass of the object being dropped, the height from which it is dropped, and the stiffness of the spring. Other factors such as air resistance and surface friction may also play a role.

5. What can we learn from this experiment?

This experiment can teach us about the relationship between potential and kinetic energy, as well as the effects of mass, height, and spring stiffness on energy transfer. It can also demonstrate the principles of conservation of energy and the law of conservation of momentum.