Mass falls on lever, catapulting mass on other end

• Thread starter SuspendedFour
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lever Mass
In summary, the block of putty is launched into the air at an angle of 45 degrees and lands a distance of 2.5 meters from the launch point.
SuspendedFour

Homework Statement

You have constructed a simple catapult which basically consists of a 4 meter long rod of negligible mass attached to a fulcrum point offset from the center of mass by 1.5 meters. You decide to launch a m2 = 0.100 kg mass from the long end of the rod by dropping a m1 = 20.0 kg ball of putty from a height of h = 5 m onto the short side of the rod. The putty sticks to the rod when it hits it, causing the rod to rotate about the fulcrum until the short end of the rod hits the ground. At this point the small mass is launched into the air at an angle of 45 degrees. You may model the mass of putty and the small block as point particles. How far away from the launch point does the mass land when it hits the ground?

m1 = 20.0 kg
m2 = 0.100 kg
r1 = .5 m
r2 = 3.5 m
L = 4 m
h = 5 m
θ = 45°

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

In my solution, I assumed that no Kinetic Energy was lost during the collision and that the linear Kinetic Energy just translated into Rotational Kinetic Energy. So the rotational kinetic energy of mass 1 as it starts to rotate is equal to its change in GPE from falling. That was the part I was most unsure of.

I then used energy conservation to solve for ωf:

KA0 + UA0 + KB0 + UB0 = KAf + UAf + KBf + UBf
where A refers to mass 1, B refers to mass 2, t0 is the time of impact, and tf is the time of release

KAf + KBf = KA0 + UA0 + UB0 - UBf

Abstract away the known energies: let C = KA0 + UA0 + UB0 - UBf
KAf + KBf = C

.5mArA2ω2 + .5mBrB2ω2 = C

ω = √(2C/(mArA2 + mBrB2))

Physics news on Phys.org
The collision of the putty with the stick will probably be inelastic, so you don't want to assume that kinetic energy is conserved during the collision.

However, there's another quantity that you can argue is conserved during the collision.

TSny said:
The collision of the putty with the stick will probably be inelastic, so you don't want to assume that kinetic energy is conserved during the collision.

However, there's another quantity that you can argue is conserved during the collision.

It's momentum, right? vf = (m0 * v0)/mf
But what is mf?

Oh I think I get it now. mvr = (Ia + Ib)w
So once I find the angular velocity right after impact, the rest of my equations hold, right?
Total energy = Kinetic Energy + Gravitational Potential Energy?

Yes. Good!

FAQ: Mass falls on lever, catapulting mass on other end

1. How does a mass falling on a lever cause another mass to catapult on the other end?

When a mass falls on a lever, it exerts a force on the lever which causes it to rotate around a pivot point. This rotational motion transfers energy to the other end of the lever, causing the catapulting mass to move.

2. What factors affect the distance the catapulting mass travels?

The distance the catapulting mass travels is affected by the force exerted by the falling mass, the length of the lever, and the position of the pivot point.

3. Can a heavier mass on the lever cause the catapulting mass to travel further?

Yes, a heavier mass on the lever will exert a greater force and cause the catapulting mass to travel further.

4. Is the catapulting mass affected by the mass of the lever itself?

Yes, the mass of the lever will affect the overall motion of the system, including the distance the catapulting mass travels. However, it is the force exerted by the falling mass that primarily determines the motion.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this phenomenon?

Yes, this principle of transferring energy through a lever is used in many everyday objects, such as seesaws and scissors. It is also used in more complex machines, such as catapults and trebuchets, for launching projectiles.

Back