Mass in Equilibrium with Variable Length Cable

In summary, the problem requires finding the tension in each cable of a suspended 1000 kg block, using the constraints of equilibrium and varying lengths of cable c between 1.2 m and 2.2 m. Using the law of cosines and drawing a free body diagram, the equations \sum{F_x}=0 and \sum{F_y}=0 can be written. However, a possible error is noted in using the same expression for the cosine of the angle on both sides. Redrawing the figure and defining the angles separately may help to solve the problem.
srg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Consider the diagram below. A 1000 kg block being suspended in equilibrium by cables c and a. Cable c is on a pulley which can vary the length of the cable. Write the constraints of equilibrium. Find the tension in each cable based on varying lengths of cable c between 1.2 m and 2.2 m.
http://srg.sdf.org/images/PF/MassVarLength.png

Homework Equations

Law of Cosines: [itex]c^2=a^2+b^2-2ab\cos{C}[/itex]
Constraints of Equilibrium: [itex]\sum{F_x}=\sum{F_y}=0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a free body diagram:
http://srg.sdf.org/images/PF/VarLengthDiagram.png

I used the law of cosines to begin writing the constraints of equilibrium.
[itex]\sum{F_x}=0 \rightarrow T_c(\frac{b^2+c^2-a^2}{2bc})-T_b(\frac{a^2+b^2-c^2}{2ab})=0[/itex]
[itex]\sum{F_y}=0 \rightarrow T_c\sin{\arccos{\frac{b^2+c^2-a^2}{2bc}}}+T_b\sin{\arccos{\frac{a^2+b^2-c^2}{2ab}}}-9810=0[/itex]

Since everything is known except for [itex]T_c[/itex] and [itex]Tb[/itex], they can be solved for. However, this system of equations doesn't seem easily solved for. I suspect I went wrong when I took the [itex]sin(arccos())[/itex], but I needed the sine of the angle when all I had was the law of cosines.

This course has been incredibly frustrating, and I'm only 5 weeks in. I'm beginning to feel I'm not really cut out for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
As I read the problem statement, it sounds like the length AB is fixed at 1.0 m. Assuming this is correct, the geometry will change as the length BC changes.

In your attempt at a solution, you seem to have used the same expression for the for the cosine of the angle on both sides. Redraw the figure, in an unsymmetric form, and define the angles on both sides separately. See if this does not get you started.

Related to Mass in Equilibrium with Variable Length Cable

1. What is "Mass in Equilibrium with Variable Length Cable"?

Mass in Equilibrium with Variable Length Cable is a scientific concept that describes the relationship between a mass hanging from a cable and the length of the cable. It is often used in physics and engineering to analyze structures and systems that involve hanging masses.

2. How does the length of the cable affect the equilibrium of the mass?

The length of the cable directly affects the equilibrium of the mass. As the length of the cable increases, the tension in the cable decreases, causing the mass to lower and reach a new equilibrium position. Similarly, as the length of the cable decreases, the tension increases, causing the mass to rise and reach a new equilibrium position.

3. What factors influence the equilibrium of the mass?

The equilibrium of the mass is influenced by several factors, including the weight of the mass, the length and stiffness of the cable, and any external forces acting on the system. Changes in any of these factors can cause the equilibrium position to shift.

4. How can the equilibrium of the mass be calculated?

The equilibrium of the mass can be calculated using the principles of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on the mass must be equal to zero for it to be in equilibrium. By considering the weight of the mass, the tension in the cable, and any external forces, the equilibrium position can be determined.

5. What are some real-world applications of Mass in Equilibrium with Variable Length Cable?

Mass in Equilibrium with Variable Length Cable has many real-world applications, including the design and analysis of bridges, cranes, and suspension systems. It is also used in the study of animal behavior, such as the balancing of tree-dwelling animals on flexible branches. Additionally, it is used in the development of tension measurement devices, such as weighing scales and tension gauges.