Mass in Space: Questions & Answers

• B
  • Thread starter ponyboy3399
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mass Space
In summary, mass plays a role in the movement of objects in space due to inertia, which is a primary manifestation of mass. This means that objects will resist changes to their state of motion, including changes in speed or direction. Weight, on the other hand, is the force exerted on an object by a gravitational field and is dependent on the mass of the object and the strength of the gravitational field. In space, where there is no friction, wind resistance, or gravity, objects will remain weightless and can only be accelerated through external means such as spacecraft propulsion.
ponyboy3399
I get so confused how mass works in space. I know these may sound like stupid questions but I've never had anyone answer them before. First if you're flying a spacecraft around in space. What role does mass play if you're weightles?
For example why couldn't you hit the gas and indefinitely accelerate to however fast you wanted to go?
I guess another question is in space what forces act on mass if there is no friction wind resistance or gravity? Is there a good link to a website that explores these questions?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Regardless of whether a spacecraft (or any object) is in a gravity field, it is subject to inertia which is in turn a primary manifestation of mass. It is inertia which prevents infinite acceleration, not gravity. See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inertia

Wikipedia.org said:
Inertia is the resistance of any physical object to any change in its state of motion (this includes changes to its speed, direction or state of rest). It is the tendency of objects to keep moving in a straight line at constant velocity.
Inertia is one of the primary manifestations of mass, which is a quantitative property of physical systems. Isaac Newton defined inertia as his first law in his Philosophiæ Naturalis Principia Mathematica...

Mass is the amount of something. Mass is the same wherever something is. Weight is the force exerted on an object by a gravitational field. In everyday speech we tend to mix these up: I weigh 90kgs. That really means my mass is about 90kgs and the force exerted on me by the Earth is about 873N. If I were on the moon, my mass would be the same, but my weight would be about 1/6th of that on Earth. And, if I were in space, distant from any gravitational source, the my mass would still be 90kgs, but I would be weightless.

Newton's second law states that ##F = ma## (force = mass x acceleration). This applies everywhere, including in space. The acceleration depends on the mass: the more massive something is, the more force is required to accelerate it at a given rate.

But, out in space, there is no obvious means of causing motion. Hitting the gas in a car or opening the throttle on a jet engine would do nothing, because there is nothing to get a grip. Science fiction in this respect is very fictional: it's very difficult to engineer anything that could accelerate itself through space the way a plane can accelerate itself along the ground and in the air.

You could try googling for " spacecraft propulsion" and see what that turns up.

Related to Mass in Space: Questions & Answers

1. What is mass in space?

Mass in space refers to the amount of matter or substance present in an object in space. It is a measure of the object's inertia, or resistance to change in motion, and is often measured in kilograms.

2. Does mass in space affect gravity?

Yes, mass in space does affect gravity. The larger the mass of an object, the greater its gravitational pull on other objects. This is why planets with larger masses have stronger gravitational forces than smaller objects like asteroids.

3. How is mass in space measured?

Mass in space is typically measured using a scale, just like on Earth. However, in space, the scale must account for the lack of gravity and the effects of microgravity. Scientists also use techniques like orbital dynamics and gravitational lensing to measure the mass of large objects in space.

4. Can mass be created or destroyed in space?

No, mass cannot be created or destroyed in space. This is due to the law of conservation of mass, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into different forms. In space, matter can change forms through processes like nuclear fusion, but the total amount of mass remains the same.

5. How does mass affect space travel?

Mass plays a crucial role in space travel. The more massive an object is, the more fuel and energy is required to move it. This is why spacecraft must be designed and launched with precision to conserve fuel and overcome the gravitational pull of celestial bodies in order to reach their destination.