Mass-Luminosity-Time relation (Astronomy)

This is based on the mass luminosity relation from the main sequence up to the end of the AGB, and it's valid to an accuracy of about 1%.In summary, the lifetime of the sun on the main sequence can be estimated to be 10^10 years. By assuming that the luminosities of stars on the upper main sequence vary as mass^4, the solar mass of a star with a main sequence lifetime of 10^6 years can be estimated. This calculation can be done using the mass luminosity relation, which is an empirical curvefit and can be more complicated than a pure power function.
Unto

Homework Statement

The lifetime of the sun on the main sequenceof the hertzprung-russel diagram is estimated to be 10^10 years. Assuming that the luminosities of stars on the upper diagram main sequence vary as mass^4, estimate the solar mass of a star for which it's main squence lifetime is 10^6 years.

Homework Equations

L = k M^b
T = kM / L = k M^1-b
T = k M^-2

'=k' is a subsitute for the proportional symbol
b = beta

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the star is going to be heavier, but I'm not given any values for luminosity. And when I try to equate time to mass I get funny answers. A push in the right direction here?

Physics news on Phys.org
K the sun's luminosity is 3.9E26 W, I figured I will use this to help me solve the answer.

The mass luminosity relation isn't a physical model; it's an empirical curvefit. The best fit isn't necessarily a pure power function.

It can be

L/L๏ = K (M/M๏)^a

But K isn't required to be 1.

It can also be more complicated, such as

L/L๏ = K₁ (M/M๏)^a₁ + K₂ (M/M๏)^a₂

For example, the mass luminosity relation for the mass interval from 2 suns to 20 suns is approximately

L/L๏ = 1.505964 (M/M๏)^3.5 − 0.0252982 (M/M๏)^4.5

Related to Mass-Luminosity-Time relation (Astronomy)

What is the Mass-Luminosity-Time relation?

The Mass-Luminosity-Time relation is a concept in astronomy that describes the relationship between the mass, luminosity, and age of a star. It states that as a star's mass increases, its luminosity and lifetime also increase.

How is the Mass-Luminosity-Time relation calculated?

The Mass-Luminosity-Time relation is calculated using the formula L ∝ M^3.5/t^2, where L is the luminosity, M is the mass, and t is the time. This formula is based on the understanding that a star's luminosity is directly proportional to its mass raised to the power of 3.5 and inversely proportional to its age squared.

What is the significance of the Mass-Luminosity-Time relation in astronomy?

The Mass-Luminosity-Time relation is significant because it helps astronomers understand the evolution of stars. By studying this relationship, scientists can make predictions about a star's mass, luminosity, and lifetime based on its observed properties.

Are there any exceptions to the Mass-Luminosity-Time relation?

Yes, there are a few exceptions to the Mass-Luminosity-Time relation. For example, stars with extremely high or low mass may have different relationships between their mass, luminosity, and age. Additionally, factors such as a star's composition and rotation can also affect this relationship.

How does the Mass-Luminosity-Time relation impact our understanding of the universe?

The Mass-Luminosity-Time relation is crucial in helping us understand the evolution and behavior of stars, which are essential components of our universe. By studying this relationship, we can gain insight into the formation and lifespan of stars and how they contribute to the overall structure and dynamics of the universe.

Back