Mass of an Object Moving Down a Slope.

In summary, the question is asking for the magnitude of the resistance force of an object moving down a gentle slope at a constant speed. Using the given equation, the resistance force can be calculated, but the mass of the object is needed. However, if the mass is not given, the best that can be done is to use the equation mgSinΘ to calculate the resistance force.
Cailan Emmett
Hello,

I am trying to find the magnitude of the resistance force of an object moving down a slope.
The question I was given says:
A skateboarder heads down a gentle slope (Θ=5°) at a constant speed of 5m/s. Calculate the magnitude of the resistance force.
Using the equation mgSinΘ - ma = R, (g = 9.8, a = 0) I got as far as m0.854 = R, but I need m to find R.
Is there another equation to find m (the mass of the object)?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
R is the resistance force on the object (friction, air resistance etc.).

Basically the forces going in the opposite direction to the skateboard.

Cailan Emmett said:
Hello,

I am trying to find the magnitude of the resistance force of an object moving down a slope.
The question I was given says:
A skateboarder heads down a gentle slope (Θ=5°) at a constant speed of 5m/s. Calculate the magnitude of the resistance force.
Using the equation mgSinΘ - ma = R, (g = 9.8, a = 0) I got as far as m0.854 = R, but I need m to find R.
Is there another equation to find m (the mass of the object)?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Distance, Height? Anything else given to you?

Coolcatss said:
Distance, Height? Anything else given to you?

Unfortunately no. Only the angle of elevation and speed of the object.

Cailan Emmett said:
R is the resistance force on the object

Ah, ok. Then, if you're not given the mass of the object, ##mg \sin \theta## is the best you can do.

Likes Coolcatss
PeterDonis said:
Ah, ok. Then, if you're not given the mass of the object, ##mg \sin \theta## is the best you can do.

Okay. Thanks for your help.

Related to Mass of an Object Moving Down a Slope.

1. What is the mass of an object moving down a slope?

The mass of an object moving down a slope refers to the amount of matter that the object contains. It is a measure of the object's inertia, or resistance to changes in its motion.

2. How does the mass of an object affect its movement down a slope?

The mass of an object has a direct impact on its movement down a slope. The greater the mass, the more force is needed to move the object, and thus it will move down the slope at a slower rate than an object with a smaller mass.

3. Is the mass of an object the only factor that affects its movement down a slope?

No, the mass of an object is not the only factor that affects its movement down a slope. Other factors such as the angle of the slope, the force of gravity, and the presence of friction also play a role in determining the speed and direction of the object's movement.

4. How can the mass of an object be measured?

The mass of an object can be measured using a scale or balance. The object is placed on one side of the scale, and weights are added to the other side until the scale is balanced. The total weight on the other side is then equal to the mass of the object.

5. Why is the mass of an object important in understanding its movement down a slope?

The mass of an object is important in understanding its movement down a slope because it is a fundamental property of matter that affects how an object responds to external forces. Without considering an object's mass, it is impossible to accurately predict its movement down a slope or any other type of motion.