Mass of silver to cover a 2.0 x10^2 cm2 object with .20mm thick layer

Then use the density to convert it to grams. In summary, to find the mass of silver required to coat an object with a .20mm thick layer and a surface area of 2.0x10^2 cm^2, you would first calculate the volume of silver needed using the surface area and depth, and then use the density of silver to convert the volume to grams.
geoti8

Homework Statement

if an object to be coated in a .20mm thick layer with a surface area of 2.0x10^2 cm^2, what is the mass of the silver required? (density of silver is 10.49 g/cm^3)

Homework Equations

d=m/v , surface area formula? not sure which one

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i am to use the surface area and depth info to calculate the volume of silver required to plate the object, then use the density provided to convert it to grams..

but not sure where to start..

Physics news on Phys.org
What is volume of cuboid?

geoti8 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

i know i am to use the surface area and depth info to calculate the volume of silver required to plate the object, then use the density provided to convert it to grams..

but not sure where to start..

Start where you said: use the surface area and depth info to calculate the volume.

Related to Mass of silver to cover a 2.0 x10^2 cm2 object with .20mm thick layer

1. How do you calculate the mass of silver needed to cover a 2.0 x10^2 cm2 object with a .20mm thick layer?

To calculate the mass of silver, you will need to know the density of silver, which is 10.49 g/cm3. Multiply the volume of the layer (2.0 x10^2 cm2 x .20mm = 4.0 x10^-2 cm3) by the density to get the mass in grams. In this case, the mass of silver needed would be 4.2 grams.

2. Why is the density of silver important in calculating the mass?

The density of a substance is the amount of mass per unit volume. In order to determine the mass of silver needed, we need to know the density to convert from volume to mass.

3. Can I use a different thickness for the silver layer and still calculate the mass?

Yes, you can use a different thickness as long as you know the density of silver. Just multiply the new thickness by the surface area of the object to get the volume, then multiply by the density to get the mass.

4. How does the surface area of the object affect the mass of silver needed?

The surface area of the object will directly affect the mass of silver needed, as the more surface area there is, the more silver will be needed to cover it. This is because the thickness of the layer remains constant, so a larger surface area will require more silver to cover it.

5. What would be the mass of silver needed to cover the same object with a thicker layer of 1.0mm?

The mass of silver needed would be 40 grams, as the volume of the layer would increase to 4.0 x10^-1 cm3 and when multiplied by the density of silver, would equal 40 grams.