Mass of solid and center of mass

In summary, the problem involves finding the mass and center of mass of a solid in the first octant bounded by certain planes and surfaces, with a given density function. The solution involves using double integrals with appropriate limits and equations for moments, including a sketch of the solid to determine the region of integration.
jimbo71

Homework Statement

a solid in the first octant is bounded by the planes y=0 and z=0 and by the surfaces z=4-x^2 and x=y^2. its density function =kxy, k is a constant. find the mass of the solid and the center of mass

Homework Equations

My= double integral of D[x*kxy]dA
Mx=double integral of D[y*kxy]dA
M= double integral of D[kxy]dA
xbar=My/M
ybar=Mx/m

The Attempt at a Solution

this problem is way to complicated for me and I have a test on it this Thursday. Please guide me through the steps. What is the region D. What is dA. and do I even have the equations right or is the should I be using xbar=Myz/M, ybar=Mxz/M, and zbar=Mxy/M. Please explain how to solve these type problems. I need help!

Physics news on Phys.org
this problem is way to complicated for me and I have a test on it this Thursday. Please guide me through the steps. What is the region D. What is dA. and do I even have the equations right or is the should I be using xbar=Myz/M, ybar=Mxz/M, and zbar=Mxy/M. Please explain how to solve these type problems. I need help!
D is not used correctly. I believe that it is supposed to represent the region over which integration is to be performed. D is the region in the first quadrant of the x-y plane that lies under the two paraboloids. You absolutely need a sketch of the solid you're working with, but as far as I can tell you haven't done this yet. You need to have a sketch of the solid in order to get the correct limits of integration in your iterated integral.

dA is a rectangular bit of the region D whose dimensions are delta_x times delta_y.

For your moment formulas, check your book. They should be listed there.

Related to Mass of solid and center of mass

1. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is a constant property, while weight can vary depending on the strength of gravity.

2. How is the mass of a solid determined?

The mass of a solid can be determined by using a balance or scale to measure the weight of the object. The mass is then calculated by dividing the weight by the acceleration due to gravity.

3. What is the center of mass of an object?

The center of mass is a point within an object where the weight is evenly distributed in all directions. It is also the point where the object will balance and remain stable.

4. How is the center of mass calculated for irregularly shaped objects?

The center of mass for irregularly shaped objects can be calculated by suspending the object from different points and finding the point where the object balances. This point is the center of mass.

5. How does the distribution of mass affect the center of mass?

The distribution of mass in an object affects the location of the center of mass. Objects with more mass concentrated towards one side will have a center of mass closer to that side. Objects with evenly distributed mass will have a center of mass closer to the geometric center of the object.