Mass of Steel Wire Sagging by 2cm | 0.492 kg

In summary, a steel wire with a radius of 0.4 × 10^-3 m and length of 1 m is tightly clamped between points A and B, separated by 1 m in the same horizontal plane. When a mass is hung from the middle point of the wire, causing it to sag by 2 cm, the mass of the body can be calculated using the young modulus of steel (20 × 10^10 N/m2). Knowing the relevant equations, the elongation of the wire can be determined and used to solve for the mass of the body. The diagram provided helps to understand the concept of the wire's elasticity and how the restoring force acts on the cross-sectional area of the wire.
gracy

Homework Statement

:A steel wire of radius 0.4 × 10–3 m and length 1 m is tightly clamped between points A and B which are separated by 1 m and in the same horizontal plane. A mass is hung from the middle point of the wire such that the middle point sags by 2 cm from the original position.Compute the mass of body.young modulus of steel:20 × 10^10 N/m2 )
Relevant equations:=T= F =YAl/L
Attempt to a solution::
Elongation occurs as shown in figure. AD = BD = 0.50 m
upload_2015-2-13_1-24-31.png

In triangle ADC, Let AC = x
That's why x =√(50^2 + 2^2=√(2500 + 4)
= √(2504) = 50.03 cm
= 50.03 * 10^-2m
Elongation,l = x – 0.50
= 50.03 – 50 = 0.03 cm
Resolve T as shown in figure
2T cos (90 – theta) = mg
2T sin (theta) = mg
2T *2*10^-2 divided by x=mg
2T *2*10^-2 divided by 50.03 *10^-2=mg
2*Y*A* l divided by 50*10^-2*2
as we know T= F =YAl/L

2 *Y*pi r^2*0.03*10^-2 divided by 50*10^-2*2*divided by 50.03=m *9.8
That's why]m=2*20*10^10*3.14*(0.4*10^-3)^2*0.03*2 divided by 50*50.03*9.8
m=0.492 kg

[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
I want to understand the diagram.

gracy said:
You've got the solution, which suggests you do understand the diagram. What questions have you got, or what bothers you?

gracy said:
The diagram shape is not drawn to an accurate scale, it is exaggerated, and this is okay if it makes the diagram easier to understand.

A and B are nails in the wall, and a steel wire is tightly stretched between A and B. When a weight is attached to that wire's midpoint, the wire stretches and sags into a V-shape. Steel wire is like a spring---it can be stretched by a force, and will return to its original length when that force is removed. The length that any column of steel will stretch can be calculated if you know its length, its cross-sectional area, and its Youngs Modulus. Every material has its own elasticity characteristic value known as its Young's Modulus. You can read up on it here: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young's_modulus

gracy said:
2*Y*A* l divided by 50*10^-2*2
as we know T= F =YAl/L
Here A=Area Which area should I take?According to the formula above we should take area on which restoring/deforming force acts.But I don't know on which area restoring/deforming force is acting.

Last edited:
"A" is the cross-sectional area of the wire. You can use the area of the unstretched wire since it's going to be reduced very little by the stretching, and going back to the stress-strain problem, it's not all that clear which area you actually should use without knowing a little more about how "Y" was determined (you'll recall that there were two ways that was shown, 1) for a starting cross-sectional area, and 2) for the area when it had been reduced by stretching).

gracy said:
According to the formula above we should take area on which restoring/deforming force acts
Bystander said:
"A" is the cross-sectional area of the wire
So,we should take cross sectional area while calculating stress,not the area on which restoring/deforming force acts.

Both. They're not going to be enough different to be noticeable. Ignore me when I start throwing too much extra information. All you need on this problem is the cross-sectional area of the wire.

Likes gracy
Bystander said:
. Ignore me when I start throwing too much extra information.
OK.

Bystander said:
They're not going to be enough different to be noticeable.
Means the cross sectional area and the area on which force acts both are one and the same thing.

Yes.

But how?I mean how tension force or restoring force acts on cross sectional area of wire?

The wire is the only thing being stretched, or allowed to relax to the horizontal under the influence of the restoring force if the weight is removed.

Bystander said:
The wire is the only thing being stretched, or allowed to relax to the horizontal under the influence of the restoring force if the weight is removed.
So,that means restoring force acts on the wire ,and we denote this force in terms of per unit area.That's why we will take stress is equal; to force divided by cross sectional area of wire .Right,sir?

I think that's the way to do it, yes.

FAQ: Mass of Steel Wire Sagging by 2cm | 0.492 kg

1. What is the significance of the mass of steel wire sagging by 2cm?

The mass of steel wire sagging by 2cm is significant because it affects the overall strength and stability of the wire. It is a measure of the force pulling down on the wire due to gravity.

2. How was the mass of the steel wire determined?

The mass of the steel wire was determined by weighing it on a scale. The wire was carefully measured and then placed on the scale to get an accurate measurement.

3. What is the relationship between the sagging distance and the mass of the steel wire?

The relationship between the sagging distance and the mass of the steel wire is a direct one. As the mass of the wire increases, the sagging distance also increases. This is because the weight of the wire is pulling it down, causing it to sag more.

4. How does the sagging of the steel wire affect its tensile strength?

The sagging of the steel wire can decrease its tensile strength. As the wire sags, it is under more tension and is more likely to break or deform. This is why it is important to know the sagging distance and mass of the wire before using it for structural purposes.

5. Can the sagging of the steel wire be reduced?

Yes, the sagging of the steel wire can be reduced by increasing the tension in the wire. This can be achieved by adding additional support or by using a thicker and stronger wire. Proper maintenance and regular inspections can also help prevent excessive sagging of the wire.