Mass on Elastic Rope: Solving for Rope Extension after Collision

In summary, the problem involves a mass hanging on an elastic rope with a given stiffness constant and a balanced length. The mass is pulled 25 cm out of balance and collides with the ceiling, with a restitution coefficient given. The goal is to determine the extension of the rope after the collision. The approach involves using the law of conservation of energy and solving for the speed, which is dependent on the mass. Therefore, the mass is needed to find the solution.
Foemph
1. The problem statement, all variables and given data
A mass hangs in balance on a elastic rope (k= 800 N/m). The length of the rope in balance is 1m. They pull the mass 25 cm out of balance. The mass colides with the ceiling (restitution coefficient = 0,8). How far extend the rope after the collision. ( Solution: 0,0113m)

Homework Equations

In balance: m*g=k*u
Ek=1/2 m v2
Ep= m*g*h
Ev= 1/2 k u2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried different things with using the law of conversation of energy. But I think a have not enough known date. So, I compared the energy of the moment when the mass is pulled 25cm out of balance with the moment it collides with the ceiling:

1/2 k (u+0,25)2=1/2 m v2+ m g 1,25

I want to determine the speed. Then I know that the speed after the collision is equal to 0,8v. Then I would use the law of conversation of energy again to determine the extending of the rope. TO determine v I think have not enough data but maybe I forgot something. Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Foemph said:
1. The problem statement, all variables and given data
A mass hangs in balance on a elastic rope (k= 800 N/m). The length of the rope in balance is 1m. They pull the mass 25 cm out of balance. The mass colides with the ceiling (restitution coefficient = 0,8). How far extend the rope after the collision. ( Solution: 0,0113m)

Homework Equations

In balance: m*g=k*u
Ek=1/2 m v2
Ep= m*g*h
Ev= 1/2 k u2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried different things with using the law of conversation of energy. But I think a have not enough known date. So, I compared the energy of the moment when the mass is pulled 25cm out of balance with the moment it collides with the ceiling:

1/2 k (u+0,25)2=1/2 m v2+ m g 1,25

I want to determine the speed. Then I know that the speed after the collision is equal to 0,8v. Then I would use the law of conversation of energy again to determine the extending of the rope. TO determine v I think have not enough data but maybe I forgot something. Can anyone help me? Thanks a lot!

You seem to have the right idea: it's all about energy. Energy is always a combination of PE in the rope, gravitational PE and KE. Just keep going with your idea.

Likes Foemph
Do you know the mass?

PeroK said:
Do you know the mass?
No the mass is not given. Otherwise it would be so easy. :-(

Foemph said:
No the mass is not given. Otherwise it would be so easy. :-(

Mass is definitely a factor. You could solve the problem for two different masses to show this.

The only other possibility is that the rope has 0 length when unweighted. That would allow you calculate the mass.

Likes Foemph
PeroK said:
Mass is definitely a factor. You could solve the problem for two different masses to show this.

The only other possibility is that the rope has 0 length when unweighted. That would allow you calculate the mass.
Oke I'll try this tomorrow. Hopefully I find the right answer.

Foemph said:
Oke I'll try this tomorrow. Hopefully I find the right answer.

The second idea can't work, because then the mass wouldn't hit the ceiling.

You could solve it if you knew the unstretched length of the rope. Either that or the mass is required.

Likes Foemph

Related to Mass on Elastic Rope: Solving for Rope Extension after Collision

What is mass on elastic rope?

Mass on elastic rope refers to a physical system consisting of a mass attached to an elastic rope that is suspended from a fixed point. This system is commonly used in physics experiments to study the properties of elastic materials and collisions.

How is the rope extension after collision calculated?

The rope extension after collision can be calculated using the equation ΔL = mg/k, where ΔL is the change in rope length, m is the mass of the object, and k is the spring constant of the elastic rope. This equation is derived from Hooke's law, which states that the force exerted by an elastic material is directly proportional to the amount of deformation.

What factors can affect the rope extension after collision?

The rope extension after collision can be affected by a number of factors, including the mass of the object, the initial velocity of the object, the length and stiffness of the elastic rope, and any external forces acting on the system during or after the collision.

How is the rope extension after collision used in scientific experiments?

The rope extension after collision is commonly used in experiments to study the conservation of energy and momentum. By measuring the change in rope length, scientists can calculate the kinetic energy and momentum of the object before and after the collision, and determine if they are conserved.

Are there any real-world applications for the mass on elastic rope system?

Yes, there are many real-world applications for the mass on elastic rope system, including in engineering, sports, and medicine. For example, bungee jumping and trampolines use elastic ropes to provide a safe and fun experience. In medicine, elastic ropes are used in prosthetics and physical therapy to simulate the movement and flexibility of human muscles and tendons.