Massflow are caulucation for fuel(Diesel)

• Thread starter AutoEngineer
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about calculating the mass flow rate of fuel (diesel) with respect to certain valve actuations. The fuel is injected into the exhaust path with the help of one electronically controlled valve and one mechanical valve. The pressure (P1) before the electronically controlled valve and the mass flow rate of fuel after the electronically controlled valve are known. The goal is to calculate the pressure (P2) after the electronically controlled valve and the mass flow rate of the fuel after the mechanical valve. There is a mass flow balance equation to calculate P2, but it requires knowing the mass flow after the mechanical valve. The discussion also touches on the system's measuring devices, valve control, and the flow factor of the valves.
AutoEngineer
Hello ,
I need to calculate the the mass flow rate of fuel (diesel) with respect to certain valve actuations.

As shown in picture, the fuel is injecting into the exhaust path , with the help of one electronically controlled valve and one mechanical valve. I know the pressure (P1) before the electronically controlled valve. and i know the mass flow rate of fuel after the electronically controlled valve. I want to calculate the pressure P2 after the electronically controlled valve and mass flow rate of the fuel after mechanical valve. Mechanical valve opens if the pressure P2 reaches certain threshold and closes with certain pressure.I have an mass flow balance equation to calculate the pressure P2 . (But to make this equation to work i should know the mass flow after mechanical valve ).

Can anyone help me how to calculate the mass flow after mechanical valve with an equation?
sample.png
sample.png

Physics news on Phys.org
AutoEngineer said:
Hello ,
and i know the mass flow rate of fuel after the electronically controlled valve.
If you know that, then by conservation of mass you also know the answer to this question:

Can anyone help me how to calculate the mass flow after mechanical valve with an equation?
So it's unclear what you do and don't know, what measuring devices are actually in the system? Flow meters? pressure transducers/gauges etc?
How are the valves controlled? Do you have a valve position output? Why is there two valves at all? Do you know the flow factor of your valves?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kv_(flow_factor)

EDIT:
Is this the same system you asked about in this thread?
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/liquid-mass-flow-equation.824696/

gmax137's questions are on the right path, can you answer them?

FAQ: Massflow are caulucation for fuel(Diesel)

1. What is mass flow and how is it calculated for fuel?

Mass flow is the measurement of the amount of matter (in this case, fuel) that passes through a specific area over a specific period of time. It is calculated by multiplying the density of the fuel by the volumetric flow rate.

2. Why is mass flow important in the context of diesel fuel?

Mass flow is important in diesel fuel because it allows us to accurately measure and control the amount of fuel being used in an engine. This is crucial for maintaining engine efficiency and performance, as well as reducing emissions and ensuring proper fuel consumption.

3. How does mass flow affect the performance of a diesel engine?

Mass flow directly affects the performance of a diesel engine by determining the amount of fuel that is delivered to the engine. If there is too much or too little fuel being delivered, it can result in decreased performance, increased emissions, and potential damage to the engine.

4. What factors can influence mass flow calculations for diesel fuel?

The density and viscosity of the fuel, as well as the pressure and temperature of the fuel system, can all influence mass flow calculations for diesel fuel. Additionally, any clogs or restrictions in the fuel system can also affect the accuracy of mass flow measurements.

5. How can mass flow be optimized for diesel fuel efficiency?

To optimize mass flow for diesel fuel efficiency, it is important to regularly maintain and clean the fuel system to ensure there are no clogs or restrictions. Additionally, using a fuel with a consistent and accurate density can also help improve mass flow calculations. Properly calibrating and monitoring the fuel system can also help optimize mass flow for efficiency.