Massive spamming by John Ryskamp

• Thread starter arildno
  • Start date
In summary, a new member on PF has posted 15 identical posts, which is a rare occurrence. This member also revived old threads to add their own content, and has been called out for their excessive posting. This is not the first time something like this has happened on PF, but the moderators are aware and dealing with it. The member's behavior is seen as trolling, and while their actions are easily dealt with, it is a reminder that spam and trolling still exist on the internet.
arildno
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
This new PF member has posted no less than 15 identical posts throughout PF.
I've never seen anything like it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Including the tactic of resurrecting old threads to tack his screed at the end of them. He sure loves his own prose.

Is he done now? I hope.

arildno said:
This new PF member has posted no less than 15 identical posts throughout PF.
I've never seen anything like it.

He isn't the first. I can remember this being done at least two other times (not in 15 different threads, though, I must admit).

he is online right now...

marlon

we are well aware of the situation, and are dealing with the posts as they need to be.

Kerrie said:
we are well aware of the situation, and are dealing with the posts as they need to be.
I never doubted that either you or the other mentors at PF would find a best course of action, since every mentor at PF has consistently exercised such a good judgment at earlier times.

However, I found a total of 15 identical posts to be rather remarkable; hopefully, such a "record" will never be set again.

Last edited:
15 identical posts is really not much at all. We've had gangs of spammers from other sites perform coordinated attacks against us, posting dozens of times a minute. We can usually lock them down pretty quickly. Besides, it only takes a few clicks to delete a user, along with every post that user has ever posted. It's really hard work for the spammers, but it's hardly a difficult task for this forum's management. Don't worry. :wink:

- Warren

chroot said:
We've had gangs of spammers from other sites perform coordinated attacks against us, posting dozens of times a minute.
You're not kidding, right ?
What on Earth does this achieve ? :confused:

About the same benefit as spraypainting grafitti on walls, except these are much easier to clean up...

Yes, there are sites dedicated to trolls. They get a list of sites to attack and coordinate. Trolling is a hobby for some people who think that it is fun.

When there were only 3 posts, I thought that he was just excited with himself and very eagerly wanted feedback. More exposure = more possibility of feedback. But now that I've heard he went to 15, I think he's just a pure troll.

Just out of curiosity, does management block an ip range of the user? That's a waste of time, if so, because they're probably using proxies. And if not, then they can just re-register under a new name with a new email account. That is unless you black-listed hotmail, yahoo, and all free email servers.

chroot said:
15 identical posts is really not much at all. We've had gangs of spammers from other sites perform coordinated attacks against us, posting dozens of times a minute. We can usually lock them down pretty quickly. Besides, it only takes a few clicks to delete a user, along with every post that user has ever posted. It's really hard work for the spammers, but it's hardly a difficult task for this forum's management. Don't worry. :wink:

- Warren

Makes me sort of miss the good old days when gangs roamed the streets wearing colored bandanas, carrying knives, and spraypainting bridges and train stations. :rolleyes: Nerds shouldn't be allowed in gangs.

Moonbear said:
Makes me sort of miss the good old days when gangs roamed the streets wearing colored bandanas, carrying knives, and spraypainting bridges and train stations. :rolleyes: Nerds shouldn't be allowed in gangs.
Nerd gangs. :smile:

Revenge of the Nerds? The A-Bomb.

Quantum NInja = 1337 nerd gang

Related to Massive spamming by John Ryskamp

What is "Massive spamming by John Ryskamp"?

"Massive spamming by John Ryskamp" refers to the act of sending a large amount of unsolicited and unwanted emails or messages to a large number of recipients, often for the purpose of promoting a product or service.

Who is John Ryskamp?

John Ryskamp is an individual who has been accused of engaging in massive spamming activities.

What are the consequences of massive spamming?

The consequences of massive spamming can vary, but they often include damaging one's reputation, violating anti-spam laws, and potentially facing legal action or fines.

How can one protect themselves from massive spamming?

Some ways to protect oneself from massive spamming include using spam filters, being cautious about giving out personal information, and reporting any suspicious or unwanted messages to the appropriate authorities.

What can be done to stop "Massive spamming by John Ryskamp"?

Stopping massive spamming by John Ryskamp may involve reporting the activity to authorities, blocking the sender, and educating others about the dangers of spamming. Legal action may also be taken in some cases.