MASt in Physics or MASt in Mathematics at Cambridge: Which to Choose?

• Thread starter iorfus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cambridge
In summary: Ultimately, the decision is up to you and what you think will be the best fit for your academic goals.
iorfus
Hi! I am an Italian students, and I have already received good answers in a old post of mine(UK master degree, requirements).
I have decided to apply in the UK, and I have discoverd that at Cambridge there are 2 MASt suitable for Physicists.
MASt in Physics, and MASt in Applied Mathematics. The former offers a few courses, while the latter offers a plenty of courses. I am interested in Cosmology and General Relativity and QFT, hoping to pursue a Ph.D.

The MASt in Physics seems to me less indicated for me, because there's a prevalence of Condensed Matter Physics, and maybe I wouldn't be able to have a complete education on Cosmology and General Relativity(there's only one lecture course nemed Relativistic Astrophysics and Cosmology).
However, the MASt in Mathematics is primarily for mathematicians(I suppose).

I am applying also to other universities, but, as far as Cambridge, what MASt would you advise me to apply for?
I thougt to apply for both of them, and then, should I be admitted, think about it. However I am worried that applying to two MASt could prejudice my(small) chances to be admitted.
Any advice?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Given your interests in cosmology and general relativity, I would advise you to apply for the MASt in Physics. While there may be more courses in the MASt in Applied Mathematics, the MASt in Physics will still provide you with the necessary background and courses to prepare you for a Ph.D. in those areas. Additionally, since you are interested in pursuing a Ph.D., it might be beneficial for you to have the Physics degree since it is more directly related to the field you wish to pursue. However, if you feel like applying to both MASt programs could increase your chances of getting accepted, then it might be worth considering.

Related to MASt in Physics or MASt in Mathematics at Cambridge: Which to Choose?

1. What is the difference between the MASt in Physics and the MASt in Mathematics at Cambridge?

The MASt in Physics is a one-year postgraduate program focused on advanced topics in physics, while the MASt in Mathematics is a one-year program focused on advanced mathematical concepts and techniques. The MASt in Physics also offers specializations in areas such as astrophysics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics, while the MASt in Mathematics offers specializations in areas such as algebra, geometry, and analysis.

2. Which program is more suitable for someone interested in theoretical physics?

Both programs have a strong theoretical focus, but the MASt in Physics may be more suitable for someone interested in theoretical physics as it offers specialized courses in this area. However, students can also tailor their studies in the MASt in Mathematics to include courses in theoretical physics.

3. Can I apply to both the MASt in Physics and the MASt in Mathematics at Cambridge?

Yes, you can apply to both programs, but you will need to submit separate applications and meet the requirements for each program. It is important to note that admission to these programs is highly competitive and having a strong background in both physics and mathematics is recommended.

4. What are the career prospects for graduates of the MASt in Physics or MASt in Mathematics at Cambridge?

Graduates of both programs have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as finance, technology, and research. The MASt in Physics can lead to careers in areas such as data science, engineering, and academia, while the MASt in Mathematics can lead to careers in areas such as actuarial science, cryptography, and education.

5. Can I switch from the MASt in Physics to the MASt in Mathematics or vice versa?

While it is possible to switch between programs, it is not guaranteed and will depend on the individual's academic background and performance. Switching programs may also require additional coursework and may extend the length of the program. It is important to carefully consider your interests and goals before choosing which program to apply for.