Master Dynamics: Answers to Practice Questions and Concept Clarification

• Thread starter fterh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dynamics
In summary, a student is seeking help with two physics problems. The first problem involves finding the acceleration and tension in a system of pulleys with masses and hanging strings. The answer is 0.426 m s^-2, but the student is struggling to get it. The second problem involves two steel balls, one pulled to the side and released, and the other suspended by a string. The student is asked to show that the second ball cannot rise to a height greater than 4h. They are looking for a clue to help them solve it. The conversation also touches on the concept of Newton's second law and the assumption of rotational motion in the first problem. However, the question may have a flaw as it does not specify the
fterh
fterh said:
Some background information: I'm doing some reading up for PhO (so it's beyond what I'm supposed to learn), and so I'll post all my questions here (regarding both concepts and actual practice questions). Sorry if you feel there is a lack of effort on my part, but sometimes I'm really lost and don't know where to start.

1) A light inextensible string passes round a fixed smooth pulley and carries at each end a smooth pulley of mass 1.0 kg. Over each of these pulleys a string hangs, one carrying masses of 1.0 kg and 2.0 kg at its ends, the other masses of 1.0 kg and 3.0 kg. The system is set in motion. Find the acceleration of the pulleys and the tension in the string to which they are attached.

The answer is 0.426 m s^-2, but I just couldn't get it! Ugh.

2) Two steel balls of masses M and m are suspended by vertical strings so as to be just in contact wit their centers at the same height. The ball of mass M is pulled to one side, keeping its center in the vertical plane which originally contained the centers. It is released from rest when its height is h above the original position.

a) Show that, whatever the value of m, the second ball cannot rise to a height above its equilibrium position greater than 4h.

No idea. A clue, please? :)

Physics news on Phys.org
The logical place to start on the first question would be to write Newton's second law for every mass and the two pulleys. Did you try that?

Pi-Bond said:
The logical place to start on the first question would be to write Newton's second law for every mass and the two pulleys. Did you try that?

Just checking, since the 1kg pulleys are not massless, so the tension of the string on either side of the pulley is different?

Yes, the tension would be different on both sides. You will have to write Newton's second law for both pulleys like normal.

Pi-Bond said:
Yes, the tension would be different on both sides. You will have to write Newton's second law for both pulleys like normal.

How do I proceed?

d9Xit.jpg

Since the pulleys are not massless, they will not have zero accelerations. Also, the tension in a thread is the same throughout, so the tensions T1 and T2 are equal, and T3 and T4 are equal. What I meant in the previous post was that the tension of the thread connecting the pulleys will not be equal to the tensions of the threads below them. Write Newton's laws for the pulleys in terms of the tensions. Then write Newton's laws for every mass, keeping in mind that the masses accelerate along with the pulleys they are connected to.

Pi-Bond said:
Since the pulleys are not massless, they will not have zero accelerations. Also, the tension in a thread is the same throughout, so the tensions T1 and T2 are equal, and T3 and T4 are equal. What I meant in the previous post was that the tension of the thread connecting the pulleys will not be equal to the tensions of the threads below them. Write Newton's laws for the pulleys in terms of the tensions. Then write Newton's laws for every mass, keeping in mind that the masses accelerate along with the pulleys they are connected to.

Why is the tension in a thread the same throughout? If the pulley has a mass, a resultant torque is required to set it in rotational motion, thus the tension on one side has to be greater than the other side, no?

That is correct, but you have no information of the radius of the pulleys, which is required to write a complete equation for torque. If you "ignore" the rotation of the pulley, you do end up with the answer you mentioned in your post. I'm not sure why you can do this, but I guess the two lower pulleys are not free to rotate about their central axes, so only the threads slide across them without friction (thus having the same tension)

Pi-Bond said:
That is correct, but you have no information of the radius of the pulleys, which is required to write a complete equation for torque. If you "ignore" the rotation of the pulley, you do end up with the answer you mentioned in your post. I'm not sure why you can do this, but I guess the two lower pulleys are not free to rotate about their central axes, so only the threads slide across them without friction (thus having the same tension)

Is this a flaw in the question? Because when it says "pulley", it's only natural to assume that rotational motion is involved, rather than frictionless sliding.

It would definitely appear so...where did you get the question from by the way?

Related to Master Dynamics: Answers to Practice Questions and Concept Clarification

1. What is dynamics?

Dynamics is the study of how objects move and interact with each other in relation to forces and energy.

2. What is the difference between dynamics and kinematics?

Kinematics is the study of motion without considering the forces that cause it, while dynamics focuses on the forces that cause motion.

3. What are the main principles of dynamics?

The main principles of dynamics are Newton's three laws of motion, which state that an object will remain at rest or in motion unless acted upon by an external force, the force applied to an object is equal to its mass times its acceleration, and every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

4. How is dynamics used in real-world applications?

Dynamics is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and biomechanics to analyze and predict the behavior of objects and systems under different forces and conditions. It is also used in designing structures, vehicles, and machines to ensure their stability and safety.

5. What are some common examples of dynamics in daily life?

Some common examples of dynamics in daily life include throwing a ball, riding a bicycle, driving a car, and jumping off a diving board. These activities involve the application of forces and result in motion according to the principles of dynamics.