Master Projectile Motion: Find Maximum Height with Initial Speed and Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a projectile being fired from ground level at an angle theta and an initial speed v0. The problem at hand is to find the maximum height reached by the projectile. The formula for this is given as v0sin(theta)/g. The conversation also touches upon the use of tmax and the vertical velocity (vosin\theta) to determine the distance traveled at any time. The conversation then shifts to proving that one quarter of the distance traveled by the projectile, multiplied by the tangent of theta, equals the height reached.
Kalie
A projectile is fired from ground level at time 0, at an angle theta with respect to the horizontal. It has an initial speed v0. In this problem we are assuming that the ground is level.
Find , the maximum height attained by the projectile, okay it is just asking for the equation
I know I need the tmax
which is = v0sin(theta)/g
tr=2tmax
H=y(tmax)
so Height=y(tmax)
but I am not sure how to do that...I mean were am I able to plug those in so that I can get the answer

Physics news on Phys.org
I've been working many problems similar to this one and I think I'm getting good answers. The teacher through out a rough one that I could use some help with though.

I'm supposed to prove that one quarter the distance the projectile travels times the tangent of theta is how high the projectile goes. I can see that this is true, but I'm not sure how to prove it.

Its expressed as deltaY = .25 deltaXtantheta

Any ideas?

FAQ: Master Projectile Motion: Find Maximum Height with Initial Speed and Angle

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is a type of motion in which an object is thrown or projected into the air and follows a curved path under the influence of gravity. It is a combination of horizontal and vertical motion.

2. How is projectile motion calculated?

The motion of a projectile can be calculated using the equations of motion, which take into account the initial velocity, angle of projection, and the acceleration due to gravity. These equations can be applied to both the horizontal and vertical components of the motion.

3. What factors affect projectile motion?

The factors that affect projectile motion include the initial velocity, angle of projection, air resistance, and the acceleration due to gravity. The mass and shape of the object also play a role in determining the trajectory of the projectile.

4. What is the maximum height of a projectile?

The maximum height of a projectile is determined by the initial velocity and angle of projection. It occurs when the vertical component of the velocity becomes zero, and the object starts to fall back to the ground. This height can be calculated using the equation: h = (v2sin2θ)/(2g).

5. How does projectile motion relate to real-life situations?

Projectile motion can be observed in many real-life situations, such as throwing a ball, shooting a cannonball, or launching a rocket. It is also used in sports, such as basketball, where players need to calculate the trajectory of the ball to make a successful shot. Understanding projectile motion can also help in predicting the path of objects in projectile-based devices and technologies, such as missiles and satellites.

Back