Master Thesis, confused and overwhelmed

In summary, Tomer is a 26-year-old Israeli currently pursuing his masters in astrophysics in Germany. He initially had doubts about continuing his career as a physicist, but after missing studying and science, he decided to give it another go. Now, he is struggling with choosing a guiding scientific question and a supervisor for his thesis. He is also considering the location of his thesis work and whether or not he should focus on his strengths or weaknesses. Lastly, he wonders if he should consider job opportunities and practical considerations when choosing a topic, and if he should explore different fields or focus on his main interest. Overall, Tomer is seeking guidance and advice from the wider and more experienced community.
Tomer
Hello everyone and thanks a lot for reading!

A short introduction: My name is Tomer, 26 years old. I'm an Israeli doing his masters in Germany, Potsdam, with a specialization in astrophysics. I've done my bachelor (in maths and physics) in Israel (the Technion).

Now, after I finished my bachelor, it wasn't all that clear to me whether I want to continue pursuing a career as a physicist. I got to Berlin hoping the answer would become clearer.
In a way it did, because I found myself missing studying a lot, missing science. I decided to give it another go and started my masters here a year ago. So far, so good - it's been very productive and much fun.
However, I have come to the point now where I should decide what my guiding scientific question is, and under whose supervision shall I write my thesis.
Problem is: it was hard 'nuff for me to finally decide I'm going for astrophysics (thinking of my PhD quite often, trying to weigh my actions this time around!) -- I hardly feel I have enough experience or knowledge for this decision. Aside from the fact that it isn't really clear to me if I'm more drawn to cosmology, or galaxy evolution, or stellar evolution, and so on - there seem to be much politics and other factors at work, which I'll have to consider if I want to make a smart decision. Unfortunately, I do not seem to be able to create much dialogue with my fellow physicists so I decided to give it a shot here, where the community is much wider and rich with experience.

So I'll try to sum up some of my most burning questions with the hope I can get some guidance here - I'd really appreciate any feedback (but try to keep it constructive! :) )

-- I do not have to write my thesis in the university. There are quite a few institutes around the university (such as the institute for astrophysics) which allow us that. The vibe is that these institutes give one more contact with other "forces" at work, more overview on different topics - and that they're generally better funded. However, it seems like the supervision in the university is much tighter, and that you generally have a much more "family-like" atmosphere.
How heavily should I base my final decision on such matters, in your opinion?

-- How likely/unlikely is it, that I'll be finding myself changing my field in my PhD? In other words, how dramatic is the decision I have to take now?

-- Feel free to share how each of you guys (n' girls) chose his direction back at the time. Contacts? Fame? Interest? Instincts? Randomness?

-- I know I'm attracted to rigorous, mathematical physics, and therefore have probably more experience in such fields than others studying with me. I can however enjoy programming, problem solving and "dirty work" as well - but I lack experience there. I never had any experience with simulations. Would you say I ought to focus more on expressing my talents or improving my weaknesses during this year?

-- I was never in it for the money, nor do I plan or even hope to get rich, but I'd lie if I'd say I wouldn't be happy to know (as much as you can nowadays) that I could earn a decent amount of money and a have stable job during the next years. Do I need to regard such considerations when choosing my topic? For example, the rumor has it that stellar evolution is kinda weakly funded these days and that only seldom do advancements take place, as opposed to cosmology which seems to earn a lot of attention (hence job vacancies, etc).
Does it make sense to allow such considerations to affect my decision? I keep having this romantic thought that a real scientist would just pick his most favorite topic without considering such things :-)

-- Last question: I'll soon be starting to work in the astrophysical institution here, having a modest student job. I will definitely however be exposed to many works of many people, which will hopefully inspire me. Will it be smart to keep myself busy at the same time with the initial thesis work at a wholly different field, to gain more insight on as many topics as I can? Or will it only confuse me? Should I try, after doing some reading, to just place my bet and go for it, or should I spend the first months exploring different works and fields?

Again, thanks a lot for reading -- I realize this post is infinite :-)
Feel free to write anything at all, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Tomer.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello Tomer,

First of all, congratulations on pursuing your masters in astrophysics! It's always exciting to see young scientists following their passions and continuing their education.

To address your questions, I'll start by saying that it's completely normal to have doubts and uncertainties about your future in science. Many of us have been in your shoes and have faced similar decisions. My advice would be to not let these doubts discourage you, but instead use them as motivation to explore your options and make informed decisions.

In terms of choosing a topic for your thesis, it's important to find something that you are truly interested in and passionate about. This will not only make the work more enjoyable, but it will also allow you to excel and make valuable contributions to the field. It's also important to consider the expertise and interests of potential supervisors, as they will play a crucial role in guiding your research and providing support and mentorship.

In terms of the location of your thesis work, it's ultimately up to you to decide what environment and resources will best support your research. If you feel that an institute outside of the university will provide you with better opportunities and collaborations, then that may be the right choice for you. However, don't discount the potential benefits of a close-knit university community and the support and guidance of your peers and professors.

Your question about changing fields in your PhD is a valid one. It's not uncommon for scientists to switch fields or even disciplines during their careers, so don't feel like your decision now will determine your entire future. It's important to keep an open mind and be willing to explore new areas and opportunities.

As for how I personally chose my direction in science, it was a combination of interest, opportunities, and mentorship. I was always drawn to biology and genetics, but it wasn't until I had the chance to work in a lab during my undergraduate studies and be mentored by a passionate and supportive professor that I truly found my passion for research.

In terms of your talents and weaknesses, I believe it's important to continue honing your strengths, but also be open to learning and improving in other areas. In science, it's important to have a diverse skill set and be able to adapt to different projects and challenges.

Regarding job prospects and funding, it's always a good idea to stay informed about the current state of the field and potential opportunities. However, I wouldn't let these considerations heavily influence your decision on a topic. As a scientist

Related to Master Thesis, confused and overwhelmed

1. What is a Master Thesis?

A Master Thesis is a research project that serves as the final requirement for obtaining a master's degree. It is typically a lengthy and in-depth paper that demonstrates a student's ability to conduct independent research and contribute new knowledge to their field of study.

2. How do I choose a topic for my Master Thesis?

Choosing a topic for your Master Thesis can be overwhelming, but there are a few things you can do to help narrow down your options. First, consider your interests and strengths. What topics have you enjoyed studying in your program? Next, think about current issues or gaps in your field of study that you could address with your research. Finally, consult with your advisor or professors for suggestions and guidance.

3. What is the process for writing a Master Thesis?

The process for writing a Master Thesis typically involves the following steps: choosing a topic, conducting research, outlining your paper, writing a draft, revising and editing, and finally defending your thesis in front of a committee. It is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively during this process.

4. How long does it take to complete a Master Thesis?

The amount of time it takes to complete a Master Thesis can vary depending on the program and individual circumstances. On average, it can take anywhere from 6 months to 2 years to complete. It is important to plan ahead and give yourself enough time to conduct thorough research and write a high-quality paper.

5. How can I manage feeling overwhelmed during the Master Thesis process?

Feeling overwhelmed during the Master Thesis process is common, but there are some strategies you can use to manage it. First, break down your project into smaller, manageable tasks. Set realistic goals and deadlines for each task to stay on track. Also, make sure to take breaks and prioritize self-care. It can also be helpful to seek support from your advisor, peers, or a counselor if needed.