Mastering Parallel Computing on Linux: From Cluster Setup to 16 Processors

In summary, the author recommends starting off with Linux clusters, learning about network tuning and TCP packets, and looking into functional programming languages if you want to get a deeper understanding of parallel processing.
welatiger
i asked a question that " i need to make a parallel processing " but still wants to know from where i start

I need to learn

Parallel computing processes i.e. I hope to build cluster

Linux Parallel Processing Using Clusters we have 16 processors

Technology news on Phys.org
MPI is a library for writing code that runs on a parallel implementation. However, if you're trying to MAKE a parallel implementation (i.e. make your own cluster) that's not what you need. I'd start looking through linux websites on cluster building (it also depends a lot on the cluster you want to build)

Good point !

What we found was that at 16nodes pretty much anything will work - just buy whatever CPU is fastest/$ at the moment, get a MB with Gigabit ethernet and as much ram as you can afford. Look at duals when Dell are having a sale, 8*2cpu is often faster than 16*1cpu because half of your interconnects are super fast.

There is an O'Reilly book "Building Beowulf clusters" but it is out of date and wasn't very good when it was new.

For larger clusters (>64nodes) it's worth buying decent rack mount hardware from a proper vendor, otherwise you never have a system that is stable enough to complete a job before some fan fails and a machine hangs.
Racks, network and cooling start to cost you as much as the HW at this point.

Learn about network tuning and TCP packets, buy decent switches don't daisy chain home grade ones. If you need lower latency than ethernet it's probably time to pay the experts.

If you are interested in the software development aspect of it I would recommend just buying CPU time on one of the many "cloud computing" networks. Look into Amazon EC2 or Sun's Grid.

Also, functional programming using Haskell, Erlang, Standard ML is ideal because of its "no side effects" nature.

I feel like there's probably a sizable hobby community for this kind of stuff. If you can find the right website there's probably a wealth of information.

thank you so much

Related to Mastering Parallel Computing on Linux: From Cluster Setup to 16 Processors

What is parallel computing?

Parallel computing is a type of computing in which multiple processors or computers work together to solve a problem or perform a task. It involves breaking down a larger task into smaller subtasks that can be executed simultaneously, resulting in faster processing times.

Why is parallel computing important?

Parallel computing is important because it allows for faster and more efficient processing of large and complex data sets. It can also help to reduce the time and cost associated with solving complex problems or running simulations.

What is the role of Linux in parallel computing?

Linux is a popular operating system that is often used in parallel computing due to its open-source nature and ability to be customized for specific computing tasks. It also has a strong community support and a wide range of tools and libraries that are specifically designed for parallel computing.

What is a cluster setup and how does it relate to parallel computing?

A cluster setup is a configuration in which multiple computers or nodes are connected together to work as a single system. This is a common setup for parallel computing as it allows for the distribution of tasks among the nodes, resulting in faster processing times.

How can I improve my skills in mastering parallel computing on Linux?

Some ways to improve your skills in parallel computing on Linux include reading books or online resources, attending workshops or courses, practicing with different tools and libraries, and working on real-world projects. It is also helpful to stay updated with the latest advancements and developments in the field.