Mastering PDEs with Similarity Solutions: Tips and Tricks from the Pros

• Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about solving PDEs using a similarity solution and the confusion surrounding how to come up with the similarity variable. The expert explains that solving PDEs is a form of guesswork that improves with experience and recommends reading a paper on the topic. The significance of certain equations and how they help determine the similarity variable is also discussed. The expert offers to help with a specific problem in the future.
member 428835
Hi PF!

I am confused about solving PDE's using a similarity solution. How do we come up with the similarity variable? Is it scaling or lucky guesses?

I've read several papers on it but haven't found the reasons on why they use the variables they do for the similarity to work. Any advice from you would be great!

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Solving PDEs is guesswork ... you get better at guessing as you gain experience.
http://web.iitd.ac.in/~vvksrini/Similar3.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
This is one of the papers I read. I don't see the significance of either $$\frac{z}{s^{a/b}} = \frac{x}{t^{a/b}} \\ vs^{-c/b} = ut^{-c/b}$$ and how the above relations help us decide that ##\xi = x / t^{a/b}## and that ##u = t^{c/b} y ( \xi )##.

Could you help me out?

Simon Bridge said:
Solving PDEs is guesswork ... you get better at guessing as you gain experience.

I think that was always my main gripe with them, or at least when I learned about them. I totally understand that they are usually *the* way of describing most physical things. But the solutions one learned about always seemed cherry-picked to work.
In the end, I always had the feeling that if I ever were to encounter one in real life and needed the solution, a computer simulation was the only way.

joshmccraney said:
This is one of the papers I read. I don't see the significance of either $$\frac{z}{s^{a/b}} = \frac{x}{t^{a/b}} \\ vs^{-c/b} = ut^{-c/b}$$ and how the above relations help us decide that ##\xi = x / t^{a/b}## and that ##u = t^{c/b} y ( \xi )##.

Could you help me out?
If you can cite a specific problem, I think I can help you through this. There was a procedure we learned in school for identifying the similarity variable.

Chet

Likes member 428835
Chestermiller said:
If you can cite a specific problem, I think I can help you through this. There was a procedure we learned in school for identifying the similarity variable.

Chet
So I'm not looking at one specifically now, but perhaps I can take you up on this offer later on (in a few weeks)?

joshmccraney said:
So I'm not looking at one specifically now, but perhaps I can take you up on this offer later on (in a few weeks)?
No problem.

Chet

FAQ: Mastering PDEs with Similarity Solutions: Tips and Tricks from the Pros

1. What are similarity solutions in PDEs?

Similarity solutions in PDEs are solutions that can be transformed into a simpler form through a scaling transformation. This transformation reduces the number of independent variables in the equation, making it easier to solve.

2. How can mastering similarity solutions help in solving PDEs?

Mastering similarity solutions can help in solving PDEs by simplifying the equations and reducing the number of variables. This makes it easier to find a general solution and can also provide insight into the behavior of the system.

3. What are some common tips for mastering similarity solutions in PDEs?

Some common tips for mastering similarity solutions include identifying the scaling variables, using dimensional analysis to determine the form of the solution, and checking for self-similarity in the equation.

4. Are there any specific tricks that can be used for mastering similarity solutions?

Yes, there are specific tricks that can be used for mastering similarity solutions. These include using coordinate transformations, finding exact solutions by using known solutions, and using numerical methods to validate the results.

5. Can mastering similarity solutions be useful in real-world applications?

Yes, mastering similarity solutions can be very useful in real-world applications. Many physical systems can be described by PDEs, and using similarity solutions can help in understanding the behavior of these systems and making predictions. This technique is commonly used in fields such as fluid mechanics, heat transfer, and chemical engineering.