Mastering Trig Derivatives for Your Calc Midterm

• Thread starter Physics is Phun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Midterm
In summary, the conversation discusses the need for an easy way to remember all the trig derivatives, including the reciprocal trig functions and their inverses. The suggestion is to use the product and quotient rules and to apply the chain rule for the inverses. Another method is to use the exponential function and its derivatives to find the derivatives of the trig functions. Memorization is also mentioned as a necessary aspect for trig identities.
Physics is Phun
Ok, i need an easy way to remember all the trig derivatives. that's reiprical trig, and all the inverses of them aswell.
Is there some easy way where i only have to remember a few of them, and i can just figure out the rest from that?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics is Phun said:
Ok, i need an easy way to remember all the trig derivatives. that's reiprical trig, and all the inverses of them aswell.
Is there some easy way where i only have to remember a few of them, and i can just figure out the rest from that?
thanks
You don't need to memorize them. If you know the derivatives of sine and cosine, then you can get everything else from the product or quotient rules. For the inverses, either use the inverse rule for derivatives or do something like this:

[tex]\frac{d}{d\theta}\tan\left(\arctan{\theta}\right)=1[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{d\theta}\arctan{\theta}=\frac{1}{\sec^2\left(\arctan{\theta}\right)}[/tex]

Now use that identity tan2θ+1=sec2θ.

Chain rule will be useful for inverses, prod./quotient rules will be useful for others.

My latest favorite method of remembering the trig derivatives is this:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{ix} = i e^{ix} = e^{ix + \pi/2}[/tex]

From this, by taking real and imaginary parts you get:

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\sin(x) = \sin(x+\pi/2)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{d}{dx}\cos(x) = \cos(x+\pi/2)[/tex]

The derivatives of the trig functions are changes to the phase. You can use trig rules to get the usual forms:

[tex]\sin(x+\pi/2) = \sin(\pi/2)\cos(x)+ \cos(\pi/2)\sin(x) = \cos(x)[/tex]

[tex]\cos(x+\pi/2) = \cos(\pi/2)\cos(x)-\sin(\pi/2)\sin(x) = -\sin(x)[/tex]

And always remember, the exponential function is your buddy.

Carl

Last edited:
What a coincidence, I have an adcal midterm tomorrow too; not much to trig identities except memorization, unless you want to go from the limit definition each time...

Related to Mastering Trig Derivatives for Your Calc Midterm

1. What are the basic trigonometric derivatives that I need to know for my calc midterm?

The basic trigonometric derivatives that you should know for your calc midterm include:

• sinx has a derivative of cosx
  • cosx has a derivative of -sinx
  • tanx has a derivative of sec2x
  • cotx has a derivative of -csc2x
  • secx has a derivative of secx tanx
  • cscx has a derivative of -cscx cotx

2. How do I remember the derivatives of trigonometric functions?

One way to remember the derivatives of trigonometric functions is by using the acronym SOH CAH TOA. This stands for:

• Sine has a derivative of COsine
  • Cosine has a derivative of -SOine
  • Tangent has a derivative of SEcant2
  • Cotangent has a derivative of -COsecant2
  • Secant has a derivative of SEcantTangent
  • Cosecant has a derivative of -COsecantCotangent

3. How do I apply the chain rule when taking derivatives of trigonometric functions?

To apply the chain rule when taking derivatives of trigonometric functions, you must first identify the inner function (the function inside the trigonometric function) and the outer function (the trigonometric function itself). Then, you take the derivative of the outer function, and multiply it by the derivative of the inner function. For example, if you have the function sin(3x), the inner function is 3x and the outer function is sinx. So, the derivative would be 3cos(3x).

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when taking derivatives of trigonometric functions?

Some common mistakes to avoid when taking derivatives of trigonometric functions include:

• Forgetting to apply the chain rule when the trigonometric function has an inner function.
  • Forgetting to use the negative sign when taking the derivative of cosx and cscx.
  • Confusing the derivatives of secx and cscx.
  • Mixing up the derivatives of tanx and cotx.

5. How can I practice and improve my skills in mastering trigonometric derivatives for my calc midterm?

To practice and improve your skills in mastering trigonometric derivatives, you can:

• Do practice problems from your textbook or online resources.
  • Work with a study group or tutor to review and solve problems together.
  • Create flashcards or other study aids to help you remember the derivatives.
  • Take timed quizzes or tests to simulate the conditions of your midterm.
  • Regularly review and practice, especially with more challenging problems.