Mastering Trig Equations: Solving for x in cosx(2sinx+1) = 0

• Thread starter LordofDirT
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Trig
The conversation discusses two methods for solving the equation cosx(2sinx+1)=0. Method 1 involves distributing and using the double angle identity, while Method 2 involves using the zero product property. The speaker gets stuck on Method 1 and asks for help. The expert summarizer suggests using the same method as in Method 2, which gives the correct answers of x=pi/6, 5pi/6, pi/2, and 3pi/2. The conversation also briefly mentions solving for the roots of x for the equation x(x+1)=0, which can be solved using the same method as in Method 2. In summary, the conversation discusses two methods for solving the equation cosx
LordofDirT
cosx(2sinx+1) = 0 ...it looks so easy.

method 1:

distribute: 2sinxcosx + cosx = 0

double angle: sin2x + cosx = 0

sin2x = -cosx

here I'm getting stuck.

Method 2:

I try to use the zero product property

cosx = 0
2sinx + 1 = 0

x = pi/2 + 2pi(k) , 3pi/2 + 2pi(k)

x = pi/6 + 2pi(k) , 5pi/6 + 2pi(k)

Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I were to ask you to solve for the roots of x for this equation, how would you go about it?

[tex]x(x+1)=0[/tex]

Apply the same method and it's solved! So Method 1 should be tossed out!

You have the correct answers for Method 2.

[tex]\cos x=0[/tex]

[tex]x=\frac{\pi}{2}, \frac{3\pi}{2}=\frac{\pi}{2}+k\pi[/tex]

Double angle equation (trig)

sin2x + cosx = 0

Attempt:

2sinxcosx + cosx = 0

sinx = -cosx/2cosx

sinx = -1/2

This gives me two solutions

x = 7pi/6 , 11pi/6 in the interval [0 , 2pi)

But the book gives 4...

LordofDirT said:
sin2x + cosx = 0

Attempt:

2sinxcosx + cosx = 0

sinx = -cosx/2cosx

2sinxcosx+cosx=0
cosx(2sinx-1)=0

Don't divide by a trig function unless they told you that cosx[itex]\neq[/itex]0

Now you have a product. Each one is equal to zero. Solve now.

Related to Mastering Trig Equations: Solving for x in cosx(2sinx+1) = 0

1. How do I solve for x in the equation cosx(2sinx+1) = 0?

To solve for x in this equation, you can use the trigonometric identity cosx(2sinx+1) = cosx * cos(2sinx) + sinx * sin(2sinx). Then, use the double angle formula for cos(2sinx) and the Pythagorean identity for sin(2sinx) to simplify the equation and solve for x.

2. Can I use a calculator to solve this equation?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve this equation. However, it is important to make sure your calculator is set to the correct mode (degrees or radians) and to double check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

3. What is the domain of this equation?

The domain of this equation is all real numbers, as there are no restrictions on the values of x that can make the equation true.

4. Are there any special cases I should watch out for when solving this equation?

Yes, there are a few special cases to watch out for when solving this equation. One is when x = 0, as this would result in a division by zero error. Another is when the values inside the parentheses (2sinx+1) equal -1, which would make the entire equation equal to 0. Lastly, you should also check for any extraneous solutions that may arise from squaring both sides of the equation during the solving process.

5. Can I use other trigonometric identities to solve this equation?

Yes, there are multiple trigonometric identities that can be used to solve this equation. For example, you can use the sum and difference identities, the power-reducing identities, or the half-angle identities. It is important to choose the most appropriate identity for the given equation to simplify the solving process.