Material science: Different properties of allotropic phosphorus

In summary, red phosphorus is considered an allotrope of phosphorus and information on the electrical properties of the different allotropes can be found in research papers and on specialized websites.
cesaruelas
I´m doing a little research on allotropic materials and decided to go with phosphorus...

I chose white beta phosphorus, black phosphorus and red phosphorus.

first question: since red phosphorus is not a crystalline solid but an amorphous solid, would you include it as an allotrope?

second question: where can I find about the electrical properties of the different allotropes I´ve chosen? I could only find their magnetic susceptibility and the band gap for black phosphorus but couldn´t find anything else on the other two.

I´d appreciate links or websites that could help me with this, thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Answer: Yes, red phosphorus is considered to be an allotrope of phosphorus. Allotropes refer to different molecular forms of the same element with different physical and chemical properties. As a result, red phosphorus is considered an allotrope of phosphorus. For information on the electrical properties of the allotropes you have chosen, you can refer to research papers. A good place to start would be the online scientific database, ScienceDirect. You can search for papers on the electrical properties of white beta phosphorus, black phosphorus, and red phosphorus. You may also find useful information by searching for papers on the electronic structure of these materials. Additionally, you can visit the websites of universities or research institutes that specialize in studying these materials.

Related to Material science: Different properties of allotropic phosphorus

1. What is allotropic phosphorus and how is it different from regular phosphorus?

Allotropic phosphorus is a form of phosphorus that exists in multiple structural forms, each with different physical and chemical properties. This is in contrast to regular phosphorus, which only exists in one form known as white phosphorus.

2. What are the different properties of allotropic phosphorus?

Allotropic phosphorus can exist in several forms, including black phosphorus, red phosphorus, and violet phosphorus. These forms have varying melting points, solubility, and reactivity with other substances.

3. How does the structure of allotropic phosphorus affect its properties?

The different structures of allotropic phosphorus result in variations in its physical and chemical properties. For example, black phosphorus has a layered structure that gives it semiconducting properties, while red phosphorus has a polymeric structure that makes it less reactive.

4. How is allotropic phosphorus used in different industries?

Allotropic phosphorus has various applications in different industries. For example, black phosphorus is used in electronics and energy storage, red phosphorus is used in matches and flame retardants, and white phosphorus is used in fertilizers and pesticides.

5. Is allotropic phosphorus toxic?

All forms of phosphorus, including allotropic phosphorus, can be toxic in high concentrations. However, the toxicity of allotropic phosphorus varies depending on its form. White phosphorus is highly toxic and can cause severe burns, while red and black phosphorus are relatively non-toxic. It is important to handle allotropic phosphorus with caution and follow proper safety measures.