Material used for electron tube in particle accelerator

• Thread starter Arnalph
  • Start date
In summary, the material used for electron tubes in particle accelerators is typically a type of metal alloy called "beryllium copper." This material is chosen for its high thermal conductivity and low electrical resistance, which make it ideal for conducting and dissipating the intense heat generated by the high-speed electrons in the particle accelerator. Additionally, the beryllium copper alloy is strong and durable enough to withstand the demanding conditions of the particle accelerator, such as high levels of radiation and extreme temperatures. It is also important for the material to have a low atomic number, which beryllium copper possesses, to minimize interference with the movement of the particles. Overall, beryllium copper is a crucial component in the construction of electron tubes for particle
Arnalph
I and a friend of mine were planning to build a betatron as a project. I would like to ask about material should be used for the particle accelerator tube?

Thank You for your answers in advance.

Likes Space_Girl
Physics news on Phys.org
Arnalph said:
I and a friend of mine were planning to build a betatron as a project. I would like to ask about material should be used for the particle accelerator tube?

Thank You for your answers in advance.

Welcome to the PF.

The New Member Introductions forum is just for brief introductory posts. If you have schoolwork type questions, please post in the Homework Help forums, and fill out the Homework Help Template that you are provided when starting a new thread in the schoolwork forums. Please be sure to fill out the sections on the Relevant Equations, and show your Attempt at a Solution. If you do that, you will get good tutorial help on your schoolwork questions here.

If you have a technical question about your work, or general technical questions, do a forum search to see if it has been discussed already, and if not, start a new thread in the appropriate technical forum. Please always post links to the reading you have been doing about your question -- that helps us to see where you are in your exploration of the subject.

Also, keep in mind that we do not allow discussions about dangerous activities here. Amateurs building particle accelerators usually falls under that prohibition.

There is more helpful info for how to post, etc., at the top of the page, under INFO, Help/How-To. Enjoy! :smile: