Material with specific elec. conductivity

In summary: Name]In summary, the conversation discussed the need for a material with 10 kOhm conductivity to shield an electrical field while sparing the magnetic field. Options such as conductive elastomers, metal-coated fabrics, carbon fiber composites, and conductive paints were suggested to meet this requirement. It was also clarified that the unit of electrical conductivity is not ohms, but siemens per meter.
zspdztzx
Dear Friends,

I am working on a project in which we need to shield an electrical field with a heavy 1 MHz component, at the same time, sparing the magnetic field as much as we can. With our limited knowledge, we came to the conclusion that a material with 10 kOhm conductivity would do this all-right. However, we are having a hard time to find such material. So far we tried using plastic painted with graphite. Despite that we could reach 10 kOhm, such graphite paint is very fragile and its performance decay over time..

So, this brings me here.. Does it exist any stable composite material that can be produced to have electrical conductivity of 10 kOhm? Conductive elastomer? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you all very much in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your project and the challenges you are facing. As a scientist who specializes in materials and their properties, I would like to offer some suggestions for your project.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that the unit of electrical conductivity is not in ohms (Ω) but in siemens per meter (S/m). Ohms is used to measure resistance, which is the inverse of conductivity. With that being said, a material with a conductivity of 10 kOhm would be equivalent to 0.0001 S/m.

To address your main concern, there are several materials that you can consider for shielding an electrical field while sparing the magnetic field. One option is to use a conductive elastomer, which is a composite material made of an elastomer (rubber-like material) and conductive particles such as carbon black or metal fillers. These materials have a wide range of conductivities, and you can choose one that meets your requirements.

Another option is to use a metal-coated fabric, such as copper or silver-coated nylon. These materials have high conductivity and can effectively shield an electrical field. However, they may not be suitable for your application if you are looking for a material with low weight and flexibility.

You can also consider using a composite material made of carbon fibers and a polymer matrix. Carbon fibers have high electrical conductivity, and by controlling the amount and orientation of the fibers in the composite, you can achieve the desired conductivity.

Lastly, I would suggest exploring the use of conductive paints or coatings. These materials are specifically designed for shielding purposes and can provide stable and long-lasting performance. They are also easy to apply and can be tailored to meet your conductivity requirements.

I hope these suggestions are helpful in your search for a suitable material for your project. I would recommend consulting with a materials expert to determine the best option for your specific application. Best of luck with your project!

Related to Material with specific elec. conductivity

1. What is electrical conductivity?

Electrical conductivity is the measure of a material's ability to conduct an electric current. It is determined by the number of charge carriers (such as electrons) present in the material and their mobility.

2. What is specific electrical conductivity?

Specific electrical conductivity, also known as specific conductivity, is the measure of a material's electrical conductivity per unit of length. It is typically expressed in units of siemens per meter (S/m) or mho per meter (℧/m).

3. How is specific electrical conductivity different from electrical conductivity?

Specific electrical conductivity takes into account the length of the material being measured, whereas electrical conductivity does not. This allows for a more accurate comparison of materials with different lengths.

4. What are some materials with high specific electrical conductivity?

Some materials with high specific electrical conductivity include metals such as copper, silver, and gold. Carbon-based materials, such as graphene and carbon nanotubes, also have high specific electrical conductivity.

5. How is specific electrical conductivity measured?

Specific electrical conductivity can be measured using a variety of techniques, including the four-point probe method, which involves passing a known current through a material and measuring the voltage across four evenly spaced points. Other methods include using a conductivity meter or calculating it from the material's resistivity.