Materials Physics Specialization(Undergrad)

In summary, the conversation revolves around whether it would be beneficial to take classes outside of the required curriculum for a Physics major, specifically in the area of Materials Science. The speaker is a community college student planning to transfer to a university and is considering double majoring in Math and Physics. They have already completed a full year of University Physics and the full Calc sequence, but are wondering if additional courses in areas such as physical chemistry, engineering thermodynamics, and materials science would be useful, even though they are not required for the Physics major at their university. The conversation also touches on the importance of talking to an advisor and exploring different course options, as well as the speaker's current coursework in JAVA, discrete structures, and general chemistry. The conversation
heatengine516
Gold Member
I'm going to try to make this as coherent as possible. I'll start with the fundamental question first:

Would it be reasonable to take classes outside the Physics undergrad curriculum/required courses that my university doesn't require, but others do?

Here's the nitty-gritty:

I am currently a community college student(US) in my second year, planning to graduate and transfer to a university after summer 2014. I am planning on majoring in Physics (Most likely double-majoring in Math and Physics). I have already had a full year of University Physics and the full Calc sequence, as well as Differential Equations and Linear Algebra. I'm currently in the process of tentatively planning out my schedule for the next two years, because I find it useful to plan ahead in this way, even if it doesn't turn out exactly as planned.

I plan on doing the "Materials and Nanophysics" specialization option. It seems like the most "applied" area of Physics offered here, and I'd like to be as applied as possible. Not to mention the research being done at the department and most of the research opportunities(undergrad assistantship & grad school) are mainly in the areas of computational materials and condensed-matter physics. The only actual class required for the Materials specialization is Solid State Physics. But I have looked around at other universities' websites and have commonly seen the following requirements for a Materials specialization option in their Physics departments:

Physical Chemistry w/ lab
Engineering Thermodynamics (with phase equilibrium)
Intro to Materials Science
Mechanics/Characteristics of Solids

as well as Solid State Physics. My university has all of these classes (or similar classes) available, but just not compiled into any sort of Materials Science/Materials Physics degree program. So my question is, would it be useful to take any of them? They're not even listed as electives for the Physics degree here.

The core Physics curriculum includes Thermodynamics and Statistical Mechanics, so would it be overkill to also take Engineering Thermodynamics in the Mechanical Engineering department as well?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you should talk to a counselor at your university when you do transfer, and get a feel for these courses. They may not be required for the specialization for a good reason (covered in some other coursework), or left open ended to take as technical electives/other on approval. It's hard to say, since we aren't privy to all the information.

While at CC, if you haven't already, I would recommend doing general chemistry and organic chemistry classes, as well as a programming course.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I was also thinking that those topics might be covered in some of the other actual physics classes. I'll definitely be talking to an advisor, since it's basically a requirement for math and physics majors to do so.

I'm in the introductory JAVA class required for the physics major, and will be taking Discrete Structures and a second semester of JAVA next semester. Thankfully, due to dual credit during high school and my own initiative, I'm a little ahead of the game here, so I have a little wiggle room for exploration.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to take the two-semester inorganic chemistry sequence at my CC due to JAVA and College Biology conflicting with it (both core College of Science requirements for Physics at the university). However, I will be squeezing in general chemistry during my last summer here, which is actually all the university requires for physics.

I realize this may have been a stupid question. Why would I go out of my way to take classes that won't even count toward my major? I was just wondering if maybe, if I decided to try to seek employment in industry, if they would help at all (since the other colleges require them).

The CC class suggestions were just an idea since you had all the core major prep done.:smile:

I don't see how a materials specialization wouldn't require more chemistry than just general chem. The courses that aren't required to graduate are kind of worth taking if it will assist in broadening your knowledge, that's why you should learn more about these classes and decide. Normally a physics degree will offer at least some flexibility to take course outside the normal physics program, but I can't really speak on your situation specifically.

I would say that it is always beneficial to expand your knowledge and skills in related fields, even if they are not required for your degree. Taking classes outside of the required curriculum can give you a broader perspective and a deeper understanding of your chosen field of study.

In the case of a Materials Physics specialization, it would definitely be useful to take classes in Physical Chemistry, Intro to Materials Science, and Mechanics/Characteristics of Solids. These subjects are closely related to materials physics and can provide a strong foundation for understanding the properties and behavior of materials.

In terms of whether it would be overkill to also take Engineering Thermodynamics, it really depends on your specific interests and career goals. If you are interested in pursuing research or a career in materials engineering, then taking this class would be beneficial. However, if you are more focused on the physics aspect of materials, then it may not be necessary.

Ultimately, the decision to take classes outside of the required curriculum should be based on your individual interests and goals. It is always a good idea to consult with your academic advisor and discuss your options to ensure that your course selections align with your academic and career goals. Additionally, if the classes you are interested in are not listed as electives for the Physics degree, you can always speak with the department and see if they can be counted towards your degree as independent study or as part of a minor in a related field.

In summary, it would be reasonable to take classes outside of the Physics undergraduate curriculum for a Materials Physics specialization, as long as they align with your interests and goals and can provide a deeper understanding of the subject. It is important to plan ahead and discuss your options with your academic advisor to ensure that your course selections are beneficial to your academic and career pursuits.

Related to Materials Physics Specialization(Undergrad)

What is Materials Physics?

Materials Physics is a branch of physics that focuses on the study of the physical properties of materials, such as their structure, composition, and behavior under different conditions.

What is the purpose of a Materials Physics specialization in an undergraduate degree?

A Materials Physics specialization in an undergraduate degree provides students with a strong foundation in the principles and techniques used to understand and manipulate materials at the atomic and macroscopic levels. This knowledge is important in many fields, including materials science, engineering, and nanotechnology.

What topics are typically covered in a Materials Physics specialization?

Some common topics covered in a Materials Physics specialization include crystallography, solid state physics, thermodynamics, electronic properties of materials, and mechanical properties of materials. Students may also have the opportunity to conduct research projects in materials science laboratories.

What skills are necessary for success in a Materials Physics specialization?

Students pursuing a Materials Physics specialization should have a strong foundation in math and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Good laboratory skills and the ability to work with complex instrumentation are also important for success in this field.

What career opportunities are available with a Materials Physics specialization?

A Materials Physics specialization can lead to a variety of career opportunities, including research and development in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics. Graduates may also pursue careers in academia, working as professors or researchers in materials science departments. Additionally, this specialization can also provide a strong foundation for graduate studies in materials science or related fields.