Math & Chemistry: Should I Pursue a 2nd Majors?

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter NM18
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, the speaker is a freshman math major who wants to pursue a PhD in math after graduation. They are considering a second major in either physics or chemistry, but have a strong passion for chemistry. They are unsure if a second BS in chemistry would be advantageous, but others assure them that advanced chemistry uses a lot of mathematics and having a second major would be beneficial. There is no reason they can't study both math and chemistry and pursuing a second major would be useful for job prospects.
NM18
I'm a freshman math major and I want to pursue a PhD in math after graduation. I've heard that the job prospects for mathematicians are better if you have a background in another field. So I want to pursue a second major- which I probably would have done anyway because science is awesome! Anyway, I'm considering either physics or chemistry, but I can't decide!

I don't know why, but chemistry is my favorite branch of science. My passion for chemistry makes absolutely no sense. I mean, I LOVE math, and physics is closer to math than chemistry is. I've actually tried to force myself to love physics the way I love chemistry, but I can't. I like physics (and science in general), but for some reason, I can't help but love chemistry almost as much as I do math.

Unfortunately, chemistry isn't that closely related to math compared to physics, computer science, or engineering. Would a second BS in chemistry still be advantageous?

Physics news on Phys.org
Lots of math in advanced chemistry when you get into molecular mechanics, simulations and modeling.

No reason you can't both study math and chemistry. Don't over think it and stop trying to sabotage doing what you love.

Likes CalcNerd
Greg Bernhardt said:
Lots of math in advanced chemistry when you get into molecular mechanics, simulations and modeling.
I concur. I have colleagues that are applied mathematicians working on algorithms for quantum chemistry and optimization.

A second BS is ALWAYS useful, first of all. And as the others have said, advanced chemistry does use a great deal of mathematics, so don't worry about that. Chemistry will be a significant help in getting jobs, as a safeguard for your advanced math degree.

Likes CalcNerd

Related to Math & Chemistry: Should I Pursue a 2nd Majors?

1. What is the benefit of pursuing a second major in Math & Chemistry?

Pursuing a second major in Math & Chemistry can provide a strong foundation for a career in various fields such as research, medicine, engineering, and data analysis. It also allows for a deeper understanding of how these two subjects intersect and can lead to innovative problem-solving skills.

2. Is it difficult to balance the coursework for both majors?

This ultimately depends on your time management skills and dedication to both subjects. While it may require more effort and commitment, many students have successfully balanced the coursework for both majors and have found it to be a rewarding experience.

3. Will I have to take additional courses to complete a second major?

Yes, pursuing a second major in Math & Chemistry will likely require you to take additional courses beyond the core requirements of your primary major. This may involve taking more advanced courses in both subjects and may also result in a longer time to complete your degree.

4. Can I still graduate on time if I pursue a second major in Math & Chemistry?

This will depend on a variety of factors, such as the specific requirements for both majors and how many credits you need to complete in total. It is important to consult with an academic advisor to create a plan that allows you to graduate on time while pursuing a second major.

5. How can a second major in Math & Chemistry enhance my career prospects?

A second major in Math & Chemistry can open up a wide range of career opportunities, as it demonstrates a strong background in critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. This can be attractive to employers in various industries, making you a competitive candidate for jobs in research, healthcare, technology, and more.