Math for Physicists: Preparing for Grad Level Physics

• Thread starter 6eecs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physicists
In summary, the speaker is a physics student who wants to prepare for graduate level physics courses, which reportedly use a lot of math. They are considering taking extra math classes such as analysis, functional analysis, topology, complex variables, abstract algebra, and advanced calculus. They are seeking advice on the importance of these subjects and whether they should focus on deepening their understanding of math or simply pick up a relevant book over the summer. They also mention not feeling the need for an extra class specifically on partial differential equations due to the content covered in their intermediate and advanced E&M courses.
6eecs
At my school, we apparently don't have a "math for physicists" type of course, which summarizes all the more advanced math that physicists need to know. The only requirement is: multivariate calc (finished), differential eqn (finished), linear algebra.

I heard, however, that the grad level physics courses here uses a lot of math. So, in order to prepare for those courses, which of the following math subjects should I strongly consider taking? (among those grad level courses, I'm considering GR, advanced E&M, QFT, and Atomic/optical physics, solid state physics).

1. Analysis (proof-based course, uses Rudin)
2. Functional analysis (requires analysis)
3. Topology (requires analysis)
4. Complex variables (fairly basic course) , different from complex analysis (which is more advanced)
5. Abstract Algebra (requires linear Algebra)
6. Advanced calculus (more like calculus techniques&PDE's for engineers type of class)

A. Would you be able to rank by the importance of the following subjects, as it is relevant to my physics studies?

B. Would you advise me to entrench myself deeply into the math, even though I'm not a math major? There's an alternative to taking 3-4 extra math classes, which is to pick up a book like Mathematical methods for Quantum and Classical Physics by Byron, and learn it over the summer. I started it , and I like the style. It is mathematically rigorous, but still very relevant to my physics studies.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
what about partial differential equations

Well, what I reasoned was that I'll get enough PDE's in my intermediate and advanced E&M course that I don't really think I need an extra class for that.

Related to Math for Physicists: Preparing for Grad Level Physics

1. What is the purpose of studying math for physicists?

The purpose of studying math for physicists is to provide a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and techniques that are essential for understanding and solving complex problems in physics. It allows physicists to describe and model physical phenomena accurately and make predictions about the behavior of systems in the natural world.

2. What are the key mathematical topics covered in this course?

This course typically covers topics such as calculus, linear algebra, differential equations, complex analysis, and vector calculus. It also includes more advanced topics such as group theory, tensor analysis, and partial differential equations.

3. How important is math for physicists in graduate level physics?

Math is crucial for physicists at the graduate level as it forms the basis of theoretical and experimental research in physics. It provides the necessary tools and techniques for analyzing and solving problems in various areas of physics such as quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and statistical mechanics.

4. How can I prepare for graduate level physics if I have a weak math background?

If you have a weak math background, it is important to review and strengthen your understanding of fundamental mathematical concepts before starting graduate level physics. This can include self-studying or taking a pre-requisite math course before enrolling in graduate level physics.

5. Are there any resources available to support learning math for physicists?

Yes, there are many resources available to support learning math for physicists. These can include textbooks, online courses, video lectures, and practice problems. It is also beneficial to seek help from professors, tutors, and study groups to clarify any difficult concepts and improve understanding.