Math Help Forum: Solving Complex Integration Problem

In summary, Samantha128 is asking for help with a question from her math textbook that her teacher said may appear on the final exam. The question involves finding the limit of a cyclic integral and using the Estimation lemma and Squeeze theorem to solve it. The solution shows that the limit is equal to zero.
Sudharaka
Gold Member
MHB
Samantha128's question from Math Help Forum,

Hi in my textbook there is the following question and my teacher said one similar is likely to be in the final exam. Can anyone help?

let f(z) = (z^2 + 2z -5)/((z^2+4)(z^2+2z+2)) If C is the circle |z|=R show that lim (from R to infinity) of the cyclic integral f(z) dz=0

I don't really know where to start

Hi Samantha128,

I hope you want to show, \(\displaystyle\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}\oint_{c}f(z)\,dz=0\). For this let us first find, \(\displaystyle\oint_{c}f(z)\,dz\)

\[f(z) = \frac{z^2 + 2z -5}{(z^2+4)(z^2+2z+2)}\]

The points where the denominator become zero are, \(z=\pm 2i\mbox{ and }z=-1\pm i\). These are the points of discontinuities of the function \(f\). For \(R\neq 2, \sqrt{2}\) you can use the Estimation lemma. Then you will get,

\[\left|\oint_{c}f(z)\,dz\right|\leq\frac{2\pi R(R^2 + 2R -5)}{(R^2+4)(R^2+2R+2)}\]

By the Squeeze theorem,

\[\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}\left|\oint_{c}f(z)\,dz\right|=0\]

\[\Rightarrow\lim_{R\rightarrow \infty}\oint_{c}f(z)\,dz=0\]

Mathematics news on Phys.org

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions or if you need clarification on any steps. Good luck on your exam!

Related to Math Help Forum: Solving Complex Integration Problem

1. How do I approach solving a complex integration problem?

When solving a complex integration problem, it is important to break it down into smaller, more manageable steps. Start by identifying the type of integration problem (e.g. definite vs indefinite, trigonometric, logarithmic) and then use appropriate techniques and formulas to simplify the problem. It may also be helpful to draw a graph or use substitution to make the problem easier to solve.

2. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving a complex integration problem?

One common mistake when solving complex integration problems is forgetting to include the constant of integration. It is also important to check your work and make sure that the antiderivative you have found is correct by taking the derivative of the result. Another mistake to avoid is using incorrect formulas or techniques for the type of integration problem.

3. How do I know which integration technique to use?

The best way to determine which integration technique to use is to look for patterns and similarities in the problem. For example, if the problem contains a trigonometric function, you may need to use trigonometric identities. If the problem involves a rational function, you may need to use partial fractions. It is also helpful to practice and become familiar with different integration techniques.

4. Can I use technology to help me solve complex integration problems?

Yes, technology can be a useful tool when solving complex integration problems. Many calculators and computer programs have built-in integration functions that can help you check your work or provide step-by-step solutions. However, it is important to understand the concepts and techniques behind integration and not rely solely on technology to solve problems.

5. Are there any tips for improving my problem-solving skills in integration?

To improve your problem-solving skills in integration, it is important to practice regularly and seek help when needed. When encountering a new problem, try to understand the underlying concept and think about how it relates to problems you have solved before. It may also be helpful to work on simpler integration problems before tackling more complex ones. Additionally, seeking guidance from a teacher or tutor can provide valuable insights and tips for improving your integration skills.