Math Modeling Struggles? Let's Talk!

• MHB
  • Thread starter StormAngelus
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Modeling
In summary, Storm is struggling with math modeling and doesn't know where to go for help. They are wondering which topic forum to post in for questions and explain their issues with interval notations and using different symbols. They have tried getting help from their teacher but have not been successful and are looking for advice.
StormAngelus
Greetings, friends and fellow math survivors (or players, however you want to look at it)!

I'm currently in math modeling, the first level math for college. And when I say it's kicking my backside, I mean with steel-toed boots. I tried getting help from the tutors and it makes NO sense. And has anybody else ever had the problem that they start panicking when they pull the math book out?

I'm struggling mightily with math modeling, and I don't know where to go for help. Which one of these topic spots would be best to post in?

Thanks a million!
-Storm

Mathematics news on Phys.org
StormAngelus said:
Greetings, friends and fellow math survivors (or players, however you want to look at it)!

I'm currently in math modeling, the first level math for college. And when I say it's kicking my backside, I mean with steel-toed boots. I tried getting help from the tutors and it makes NO sense. And has anybody else ever had the problem that they start panicking when they pull the math book out?

I'm struggling mightily with math modeling, and I don't know where to go for help. Which one of these topic spots would be best to post in?

Thanks a million!
-Storm
Welcome!

I agree that math modelling for some can be a breeze, and others, an absolute nightmare!

Questions regarding the topic could be posted in the Applied Mathematics forum, or the Other Topics forum (which includes Physics, Chemistry etc.).

It's hard to say exactly what you are stuck on without seeing an example. Are you studying a mathematics or science major that has a sort of Physics/Applied physics first year course? Or are you studying Engineering or something along those lines?

My advice would be to do exercises provided in any material you've been recommended or given. Another bit of advice would be to do exercises, more, exercises... You get the idea :p.

Joppy said:
Welcome!

I agree that math modelling for some can be a breeze, and others, an absolute nightmare!

Questions regarding the topic could be posted in the Applied Mathematics forum, or the Other Topics forum (which includes Physics, Chemistry etc.).

It's hard to say exactly what you are stuck on without seeing an example. Are you studying a mathematics or science major that has a sort of Physics/Applied physics first year course? Or are you studying Engineering or something along those lines?

My advice would be to do exercises provided in any material you've been recommended or given. Another bit of advice would be to do exercises, more, exercises... You get the idea :p.

Amen to that! It's gotten to where I'm having nightmares about taking a math test and hearing someone laughing in the background... *shudders*

I'm an English major, which doesn't help. XD There's two main issues I have: interval notations (did I spell that right?) and what the heck is the difference between the upside-down U and the Upside-right U? And when do you use them?

Every time I ask my teacher for help, he just explains it again quickly, and when I tell him I still don't get it, he tells me to go get tutoring. To say the least, he's kind of a jerk. But this is college, and I know I have to keep up.

Help?

Thanks,
Storm

FAQ: Math Modeling Struggles? Let's Talk!

1. What is math modeling?

Math modeling is the process of using mathematical equations, data, and symbols to create a representation of a real-world problem or system. It is often used in science, engineering, and economics to make predictions and inform decision making.

2. Why do people struggle with math modeling?

People may struggle with math modeling because it requires a strong understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them to real-world situations. It also involves critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which can be challenging for some individuals.

3. How can I improve my math modeling skills?

Practice is key to improving math modeling skills. It is important to have a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and to regularly apply them to real-world problems. Working with others and seeking guidance from experts can also help improve skills.

4. What are some common mistakes in math modeling?

Some common mistakes in math modeling include using incorrect or incomplete data, not considering all relevant variables, and making assumptions without proper justification. It is important to carefully analyze and validate all aspects of the model to ensure accuracy.

5. How is math modeling used in different fields?

Math modeling is used in various fields such as physics, biology, economics, and engineering. In physics, it is used to predict the behavior of physical systems. In biology, it is used to model population growth and disease spread. In economics, it is used to analyze market trends and predict outcomes. In engineering, it is used to design and optimize systems and structures.