Math PhD student missing some background - what to do?

• Programs
  • Thread starter RollingRust
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Phd Student
In summary, depending on your background and research interests, you may or may not be able to gain a good mathematical education in Australia in a 3.5 year timeframe. If you are unhappy with your current program and want to move to the United States, you may have to reapply next year.
RollingRust
Hi guys,

After taking some time off after my undergraduate degree in Math (in Australia), I've decided to go back and do a PhD in Mathematics.

I applied for a variety of postgrad programs in the US and Australia. Due to the break between undergrad and postgrad, and a few holes in my background, I was thinking the US programs would suit me better with the graduate coursework component. Unfortunately I was not accepted into any US programs and so am currently enrolled at a reasonably well ranked Australian university. My research interests are mostly in numerical analysis.

However I am quickly realizing just how many holes there are in my background (PDE theory, Differential Geometry, Stochastics - I am not completely ignorant of these topics, but certainly lacking), and with the shorter time frame of the Australian PhD (3.5 years max for scholarship), I am worried I won't be able to gain a competent mathematical education.

My career goals are not really to end up in an academic position, not because it isn't appealing, but because realistically I am not good enough. I would hope to possibly land a role in a national/commercial research lab though.

What would people suggest I do from this point? Just try and do the best I can in the Australian program? Or reapply at US schools next year? I'm not 100% sure why I didn't get into any schools, but I didn't apply for that many and I probably should have retaken my math subject GRE. Or maybe just shift my focus so that these hole are less important.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello,

I think some important questions to ask yourself first are:
-Are you generally happy with your current program?
-You mention that you have some gaps in your background but are these gaps seriously impeding your progress on your research?

If you answer yes to both questions then is it possible for you to go and sit in on some classes you feel may help fill the gaps? Just to be clear, by sit in I don't mean enrolling and formally taking the classes but just going and listening to the lectures. Also, do you have an academic advisor whom you can ask for guidance? They may be able to help with your situation. Even if you answer no to the second question this still may not be a bad idea if you are worried about the quality of your mathematics education.

If you are very unhappy with your current program and would like to go to a US university, then reapplying next year might be something to consider although you will most likely have to justify why you are leaving your current program.

Hope this helps and good luck with your decision.

Hi someone, thanks for your input.

Those are good questions to ask myself and I think the answers are:
1) Yes
2) To some extent yes

I can (and am) sit in on courses to fill gaps here and there. I think talking to my adviser in more depth about this is a good idea.

Is there anyone else here who went into a 3 year PhD program (Aus or UK) with what they felt like was a slightly flaky undergrad degree?

Cheers

FAQ: Math PhD student missing some background - what to do?

1. What steps can a math PhD student missing some background take to catch up?

There are a few steps a math PhD student can take to catch up on missing background. First, they can reach out to their advisor or other professors for guidance on what specific topics to focus on. They can also attend extra lectures or seminars on the subject, and work through extra practice problems or readings. Additionally, they can collaborate with other students or form study groups to discuss and learn from each other's strengths.

2. How can a math PhD student determine which background topics they are missing?

A math PhD student can determine which background topics they are missing by reviewing the course syllabus and comparing it to their own knowledge and understanding. They can also ask their advisor or professors for guidance on which topics are most crucial for their specific research or coursework. Self-assessments and practice problems can also help identify areas of weakness.

3. Is it common for math PhD students to have missing background knowledge?

Yes, it is common for math PhD students to have some missing background knowledge. The field of mathematics is vast and constantly evolving, so it is nearly impossible for any student to have a complete understanding of all topics. Additionally, students may come from different undergraduate backgrounds and may have varying levels of exposure to certain subjects.

4. Can a math PhD student still be successful without a complete understanding of all background topics?

Yes, a math PhD student can still be successful without a complete understanding of all background topics. While it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics, success in research and coursework also depends on critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and the ability to learn and adapt to new concepts. As long as a student is willing to put in the effort to catch up on missing background, they can still excel in their studies.

5. How can a math PhD student manage the stress and pressure of catching up on missing background?

Catching up on missing background can be daunting and stressful for a math PhD student. To manage this, it is important for the student to prioritize their tasks and set realistic goals. It can also be helpful to take breaks and engage in stress-relieving activities such as exercise or hobbies. Seeking support from advisors, professors, or peers can also provide valuable guidance and alleviate some pressure.