Math puzzle involving the game Connect 4

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible problem with the game Connect 4 and asks for other interesting problems related to the game. The game is described for those who are not familiar with it and a strategy to force a draw or win for one player is shared. The problem is compared to the Four Color Map Problem and one participant notes that a Master's Thesis from a university in Amsterdam has been written on the topic. The length of the paper is questioned.
Blue_Jaunte
I was playing Connect 4 the other day, and I started to wonder how you could fill the board entirely without connecting 4. I haven't tackled the problem so I don't know if it's of general interest at all, or if it yields any interesting results...but I thought I'd share it with you all.

Perhaps you can think of more interesting problems with this game (since, now that I think about it, I'm basically asking all the ways you can fill a slightly larger tic-tac-toe board)?

For those who don't know what connect 4 is:
http://www.oldeducator.com/connect4.jpg
2 players take turns dropping their checkers into the board. The goal is to make 4 of your pieces connect in any direction (vertically, horizontally, diagonally).

Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think perhaps the simplest pattern for not connecting for is where you make a column 2 or 3 thick, alternating one way, then the adjacent column you alternate it the other way.

00XX00XX
XX00XX00
00XX00XX
XX00XX00

etc for the entire board (it if has odd dimensions then you can just have it one thick at the end

it sort of reminds me of the Four color map problem...

Wow, thanks guys. I should've known that someone would be on the case. DavidSnider, i noticed that the paper is a "Master's Thesis" from a university in Amsterdam. Is that comparable to a Master's thesis in the states or PhD? I'm just wondering because of the length.

Related to Math puzzle involving the game Connect 4

What is the game Connect 4?

Connect 4 is a two-player strategy board game in which players take turns dropping colored discs into a vertical grid. The goal of the game is to connect four of one's own discs of the same color in a horizontal, vertical, or diagonal line.

How does the game Connect 4 relate to math?

The game Connect 4 can be analyzed using various mathematical concepts such as game theory, combinatorics, and graph theory. These mathematical principles help determine optimal strategies and possible outcomes of the game.

What is the minimum number of moves required to win in Connect 4?

The minimum number of moves required to win in Connect 4 is 7. This is achieved by placing a disc in the center column on each turn, creating a vertical line of four discs. However, this may not always be the most optimal strategy and may not guarantee a win.

Is there a guaranteed winning strategy for Connect 4?

There is no guaranteed winning strategy for Connect 4. However, there are certain patterns and strategies that can increase the chances of winning. These strategies involve controlling the center column, creating multiple threats, and blocking the opponent's moves.

Can Connect 4 be solved using math?

Connect 4 is a complex game and cannot be solved using traditional mathematical methods. However, computer algorithms have been developed that can solve the game and determine the optimal moves for both players. This involves analyzing all possible moves and outcomes, making it a computationally intensive problem.