Math Questions in Lorentzgroup: Covariance/Contravariance Explained

• Thread starter Dreak
  • Start date
In summary, The difference between covariant and contravariant vectors is that they transform the components of the vectors, but not the vectors themselves. The Minkowski metric is used to transform between the two. The Lorentz transformation can be written as ##v^{\mu'} = \Lambda^{\mu'}_\mu v^\mu## where ##\Lambda## stands for a Lorentz boost. The difference between ##\Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu## and ##\Lambda^{\mu'}_\mu## is that one is the transpose of the other.
Dreak
Hi, I'm having some difficulties with my course relativity, more specifically the maths part:

To begin with, what is the 'physic' difference between covariance/contravariance four-vector (if they call it like that in English?).

I read that they transform the components of the Vectors, but not the Vectors themselves. Does that mean you got the same vector, but only it's components in an other basis, something like that?

How do you use them in formula (like: are there different math rules to use, or are only the components different between a covariant vector and its contravariant?)

The minkowski metric is same in contra-covariance, but what about other metrics, how do I change them from one to another, with the Minkowski metric or.?
Or do we simply have to apply: gμvg = δ(μλ) ?In my course, there is written that a transformation of an element in the Lorentzgroup can be written as:
V = [itex]\Lambda[/itex] μvVv

What are these elements of the Lorentzgroup? What does [itex]\Lambda[/itex] stand for?

Last but not least, what would be the difference between
[itex]\Lambda[/itex]μv and [itex]\Lambda[/itex]μvThanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
The difference between covariant and contravariant vectors has been discussed multiple times on the forum. Try doing a forum search using the search function at the top right. For example: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=689904

If you are in Minkowski space-time then the isomorphism between the contravariant and covariant indices of any tensor is given by the Minkowski metric.

Usually the subgroup of interest is the proper Lorentz group ##SO(1,3)## but regardless you can find everything you need here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_group

##\Lambda## usually stands for a Lorentz boost:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_boost#boost

In such a case, the matrix representation ##\Lambda^{\mu}_{\nu}## is symmetric so there is no difference between the two matrices you wrote down.

Dreak said:
In my course, there is written that a transformation of an element in the Lorentz group can be written as:
V = [itex]\Lambda[/itex] μvVv

What are these elements of the Lorentzgroup? What does [itex]\Lambda[/itex] stand for?

Last but not least, what would be the difference between
[itex]\Lambda[/itex]μv and [itex]\Lambda[/itex]μv
The Lorentz transformation can be written like this ##v^{\mu'}=\Lambda^{\mu'}_\mu v^\mu##

So ##v^\mu=\Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu v^{\mu'}=\Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu\Lambda^{\mu'}_\mu v^\mu ## from which you can get the relationship between ##\Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu## and ##\Lambda^{\mu'}_\mu##.

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, though.

Thanks for the help!

Mentz114 said:
The Lorentz transformation can be written like this ##v^{\mu'}=\Lambda^{\mu'}_\mu v^\mu##

So ##v^\mu=\Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu v^{\mu'}=\Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu\Lambda^{\mu'}_\mu v^\mu ## from which you can get the relationship between ##\Lambda_{\mu'}^\mu## and ##\Lambda^{\mu'}_\mu##.

I'm not sure if this is what you are asking, though.

Not completely, I wonder what the difference is between: first the lower indic and then the upper indic or the other way around, first upper and then the lower indic (I hope I'm clear enough O:) )

Dreak said:
[...]Last but not least, what would be the difference between
[itex]\Lambda[/itex]μv and [itex]\Lambda[/itex]μv
[...]

One is the transpose of the other.

FAQ: Math Questions in Lorentzgroup: Covariance/Contravariance Explained

1. What is the Lorentz group?

The Lorentz group is a mathematical concept that describes the symmetries of space and time. It is named after the Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz and plays a crucial role in the theory of special relativity.

2. What is covariance and contravariance?

Covariance and contravariance are mathematical concepts used to describe how the components of a vector or tensor change under certain transformations. In the context of the Lorentz group, covariance refers to transformations that preserve the form of the equations, while contravariance refers to transformations that change the form of the equations.

3. How does covariance/contravariance relate to the Lorentz group?

The Lorentz group is a group of transformations that preserve the form of the equations in special relativity. These transformations can be described using covariance and contravariance. In particular, the Lorentz group can be represented by matrices that act on vectors and tensors in a way that preserves their covariance or contravariance.

4. Why is understanding covariance/contravariance important in the Lorentz group?

Understanding covariance and contravariance is important in the Lorentz group because it allows us to properly describe the symmetries of space and time in special relativity. It also allows us to properly transform vectors and tensors in a way that is consistent with the principles of special relativity.

5. How can one apply the concept of covariance/contravariance in real-world situations?

The concept of covariance and contravariance has many applications in physics, particularly in the fields of relativity and quantum mechanics. For example, it is used to describe the behavior of particles at high speeds, the properties of electromagnetic fields, and the structure of space-time. It also has applications in engineering and computer science, such as in the design of algorithms and data structures for efficient calculations.

Back