Math REUs 2014: Program Updates and Notifications

• Thread starter member 502815
  • Start date
In summary, participants in this conversation discussed the status of their applications for various math REU programs. Some have received rejections or acceptances from certain programs, while others are still waiting to hear back. Some programs have sent out first offers, while others have not begun evaluating applications yet. There was also a discussion about phone interviews and what they are typically like. One person mentioned being on the shortlist for two programs and another mentioned getting into one of their top choice programs. There was also a mention of a program potentially not running this year due to funding issues.
member 502815
Hi all,

Has anyone heard back from math REU Programs yet?

For me, I'm still waiting on SMALL (short list) and Emory.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have heard from none of the 11 I applied for. Only one deadline has passed for those 11, though. Have your deadlines all passed? Do they start evaluating/contacting people before the deadline?

Rejected from Duluth on the 17th. From the email, "There were 192 applicants for the
nine positions."

I've heard that Duluth is one of the most competitive REUs around - that they usually only take people from Harvard, MIT, etc.

Has anyone heard for CSU San Bernardino? It was due on the 12th, and I got a confirmation email about a week later saying they had not started to look at materials yet. I expect to hear from them earlier since their application was due earlier.

SUNY Potsdam sent an email saying that decisions will be made at earliest on March 8th.

I've applied to 12 REUs. I haven't heard back from any yet. Emory already posted their participants for this year :(
But that leaves 11 to hear from! Woot.

Has anyone heard from UCLA RIPS yet?

Does anyone know what a phone interview for an REU is like?

I looked at the past Math REUs pages on PF. They all started getting offers around early March. So naturally, this dude is worried. Anyone know how long schools take to send out offers after deadline??
P.S. Got rejection e-mail from Emory. But that was a far-stretch anyway.

Yep. I read that in other threads, too. I was worried, but I think that maybe decisions are being made slightly later this year?
I haven't had any rejections yet. I have one interview tomorrow. Another program said decisions would be made no sooner than March 8th. Another program said first offers would be made by the end of today. So this means that I did not get an offer at that program. :( It was one of my top choices.

lauraofrohan said:
Another program said first offers would be made by the end of today. So this means that I did not get an offer at that program. :( It was one of my top choices.

Sorry to hear that!

It's okay! I would be happy to get into one out of the twenty that I applied to. A bunch of students from my school applied this year, and even though I have a strong GPA, I definitely feel that I am in direct competition with others from my college. Hopefully I applied to some REUs without overlap!

Fairfield is still pending funding. Sounds like they'll probably shut it down this year. Bummer.

Has anyone heard from William and Mary, GVSU, CMich, or Kent?

I haven't received any acceptances or rejections yet but I have emails indicating that I am on the short lists for two REUs.

Ahh! I can't believe it. I got into one of my top choice REUs. Now I just have to decide which REUs to email for a status update and which ones to withdraw from. Any advice? This forum doesn't seem as active as years past, but I might as well ask.

GVSU sent out their first offers last night according to an email I got. Where are you on the short list?

lauraofrohan said:
GVSU sent out their first offers last night according to an email I got. Where are you on the short list?

I haven't heard anything from GVSU yet, alas.

Would people say which ones they've heard from? I think the point of this thread is for people to see if programs that they've applied to are sending out acceptances, so it's not as helpful for the rest of us if people merely say that they got into one and don't say which.

vtyzpjdennjv said:
Would people say which ones they've heard from? I think the point of this thread is for people to see if programs that they've applied to are sending out acceptances, so it's not as helpful for the rest of us if people merely say that they got into one and don't say which.

I'm on the shortlist for UWG and Potsdam. I haven't heard anything else from any other REUs.

lauraofrohan said:
Ahh! I can't believe it. I got into one of my top choice REUs.

What program did you get an offer from??

This is my status for REUs.
Offers: Kent
Rejections: Emory
No word: UW-Stout, GVSU, University of Minnesota, CMich, Missouri State, University of West GA, Auburn, Miami U, Michigan State

I have to reply to Kent by Friday!

Also, could anyone who has heard from these programs let us know? Thanks!

Last edited:
I got into Florida Institute of Technology Math REU! But I still have not heard back from RIPS

SUNY Potsdam has sent out first offers.

lauraofrohan, how was the phone interview? I have one tomorrow and I'm really curious to know what they're like!

I actually really enjoyed the phone interview (it made me want to attend that REU! It seems like a perfect fit for me). He asked me to tell him something about myself not on the application, if I had questions about the REU, and how I work - independently or collaboratively. He told me about his goals for the program, and asked me a bit about my experience in math and what challenges I have faced in math. Overall, it was a really great experience for me to have - I learned so much about the REU. He said he wanted to get a feel of the possibilities for his research team and how we would work together.

Thanks for the detailed reply - this was really helpful! I'm glad you had such a good experience!

I also know someone who has had an offer from Central Michigan, so it seems like they've sent out first offers at least.

UW-Stout sent out first offers recently... although not to me! :/

So, here's what I have learned:
SUNY Potsdam has sent out first offers
Hawaii PURE will be sending offers Monday
CSU Fresno has a shortlist
GVSU has sent out first offers
Kansas SuMaR has not started to look at applicants
CSU San Bernardino will be in review for at least a week

Has anyone heard from Cornell, RIT, or MSU?

I have withdrawn from 4 places. I was rejected from 1, accepted at 1 place, and am on the shortlist for 2 places. Still waiting to hear from a number of places, though.

lauraofrohan said:
I actually really enjoyed the phone interview (it made me want to attend that REU! It seems like a perfect fit for me). He asked me to tell him something about myself not on the application, if I had questions about the REU, and how I work - independently or collaboratively. He told me about his goals for the program, and asked me a bit about my experience in math and what challenges I have faced in math. Overall, it was a really great experience for me to have - I learned so much about the REU. He said he wanted to get a feel of the possibilities for his research team and how we would work together.

Can you tell me which REU is that? I haven't got any reply from any REUs I have applied:(.

Got an offer from kent state on Monday. They are requiring people to accept or decline by this friday. Does anybody have any idea about the reputation of the kent state REU?
Anyone have an idea of when IU, Penn state or Cornell will be giving out offers?

I've gotten

Offers: William & Mary, West Georgia
Rejections: Emory, Texas A&M
No word: Oregon State, Cornell, Wisconsin-Stout, Potsdam

joe_6174 said:
Got an offer from kent state on Monday. They are requiring people to accept or decline by this friday. Does anybody have any idea about the reputation of the kent state REU?
Anyone have an idea of when IU, Penn state or Cornell will be giving out offers?

I got one too! I don't know too much about the REU reputation though.
What project would you be working on??

Last edited:
Just heard from Cornell that first offers went out this week, and many of them have been accepted.

Just heard back from Rutgers Math/DIMACS REU (Acceptance). They are sending first offers. Also heard back from ICERM Brown and Williams College SMALL (Rejections). These have filled up already.

josef_hartmann said:
I got one too! I don't know too much about the REU reputation though.
What project would you be working on??

Nice! The one on density of gabor systems. What about you?