Math REUs 2015: Updates on Program Acceptances

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
In summary: Kent state is located in a midsize college town, 20 minutes away from Akron, which you may choose to fly to with the travel budget if you are more than an hour or two away, and about an hour away from Cleveland. The town itself is quite nice. There is a lovely Mexican restaurant and Five Guys which were favorites last year, but there are maybe a dozen other decent food options as well in addition to cooking in the dorms. No meal plan or allowance is included, but this was never an issue with the available options.There were plenty things to do provided by the REU: There are weekly activities which included going to the zoo, laser tag, canoeing, etc. Though some of these may sound
Has anyone heard back from math REU Programs for 2015 yet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
Has anyone heard back from math REU Programs for 2015 yet?
Have offers from Kent, UCSB and WADE reu. Any opinions on those?

When did UCSB offer you admission? They only started reviewing 6 days ago. Also UCSB is a 3.3 on the AMS scale for their graduate program, so if you are interested in going there (3.3 is rather good) you should definitely go to that REU. Very few REUs have a graduate program in mathematics at their schools.

IDERIVE said:
When did UCSB offer you admission? They only started reviewing 6 days ago. Also UCSB is a 3.3 on the AMS scale for their graduate program, so if you are interested in going there (3.3 is rather good) you should definitely go to that REU. Very few REUs have a graduate program in mathematics at their schools.
The program director emailed me today, and said I would be working on her project specifically.

Alexi B. G. said:
The program director emailed me today, and said I would be working on her project specifically.

Do you know why you were accepted so early? It is my understanding that acceptances are generally given end of February or beginning of March. WADE's applications are not due until tomorrow and they even say on their apply page:

The application deadline is Wednesday, February 18, 2015 at midnight. Review of applications will begin immediately. We will identify a shortlist of approximately 15 applicants and attempt to talk with them over the phone or Skype in late February and make offers shortly thereafter. We intend for the first round of offers to be made during the first week of March.

Math said:
Do you know why you were accepted so early? It is my understanding that acceptances are generally given end of February or beginning of March. WADE's applications are not due until tomorrow and they even say on their apply page:
Well, WADE I emailed after I got my first offer telling them I had an offer I needed to accept or decline by Feb. 18th. They gave me an offer during an interview shortly thereafter. UCSB was totally out of the blue, though.

Does anyone know anything about peoples' opinions of those REUs?

Alexi B. G. said:
Well, WADE I emailed after I got my first offer telling them I had an offer I needed to accept or decline by Feb. 18th. They gave me an offer during an interview shortly thereafter. UCSB was totally out of the blue, though.

I attended the Kent State REU last summer and have nothing negative to report. So far as I know, everybody had positive experiences.

There are two projects run this year, one by Jenya Soprunova on lattice point geometry and one by Misha Chebotar in algebra. Jenya directed the REU last year but I didn't interact with her too much. Chebotar's group was in the office next to my group's -- I was in the now defunct analytic number theory group. Chebotar can be a bit goofy and likes to joke around, but at the end of the day he means business and his group is going to make some serious progress in their research. His group last year had submitted their paper with more than a week left in the program and the group from two years ago had their paper published before the start of the Fall semester.

Kent state is located in a midsize college town, 20 minutes away from Akron, which you may choose to fly to with the travel budget if you are more than an hour or two away, and about an hour away from Cleveland. The town itself is quite nice. There is a lovely Mexican restaurant and Five Guys which were favorites last year, but there are maybe a dozen other decent food options as well in addition to cooking in the dorms. No meal plan or allowance is included, but this was never an issue with the available options.

There were plenty things to do provided by the REU: There are weekly activities which included going to the zoo, laser tag, canoeing, etc. Though some of these may sound boring, they were quite enjoyable with the group. There was also a weekly sports activity, which most often was volleyball or Frisbee. Each research group gives a 15-30min talks each week in addition to the usually quite interesting weekly colloquiums.

Regarding the living situation: We had incredibly nice dorms -- they house the REU students in the best dorms on campus. Specifically, we had air-conditioned doubles with private bathroom shared with next-door room. There was a janitor who came weekly to clean our bathrooms and the full kitchen which was shared across the floor.

Overall, I had a great experience and would strongly recommend Kent's REU. That being said, the most weighty consideration in making your decision should probably be your interest/ability in the research topic.

Likes DMathmagician and Alexi B. G.
I don't know what people think of the REUs but this is how I rank them: 1. Do they have a math graduate school there and how high is their math graduate school ranked? Even though they are separate entities (graduate and undergraduate) their faculty definitely discuss between the two. If the admissions committee sees that you went to an REU at the same school, then aren't they going to walk the few feet over to the person who ran it and ask them about you? 2. If they don't have a graduate program, how well known is their mathematics department? you can look this up here http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/mathematics and rankings aren't everything for this (like it is for grad school) but it gives you an idea. Is it in California (known for math and chemistry)? 3. Which has a topic that you personally find most interesting?

Likes Alexi B. G.
Alexi B. G. said:

Congrats! What did you end up deciding on?

Also, does anyone else have any updates? Especially from SMALL, when will they start contacting people? I haven't gotten word from any yet.

REU2015Hopeful said:
Congrats! What did you end up deciding on?

Also, does anyone else have any updates? Especially from SMALL, when will they start contacting people? I haven't gotten word from any yet.

Wound up choosing WADE after having a conversation with the director. He really seems to have his finger on the pulse of what's trendy in Number Theory, and asks good research questions. Super excited to go there this summer!

Congratulations! Good luck!

Has anyone got anything from SMALL yet? I literally check my email every 10 minute this week. I don't want to contact the director until next Monday.

leviethai said:
Has anyone got anything from SMALL yet? I literally check my email every 10 minute this week. I don't want to contact the director until next Monday.

I was accepted into another REU so I emailed SMALL regarding my status, their reply was:

We had over 500 applications for fewer than 30 positoins.

If you haven't heard from a group it means you didn't make the short list, and thus it is extremely unlikely we'll be able to make you an offer.

Which is so sad :(

REU Person, which REU were you accepted to? I applied to UC Santa Barbara, SMALL (did not hear back :( guess that one is out ), Hawaii Hilo, UC Berkeley, Sam Huston State, Missouri State, SuMAR at Kansas, California state CI, U of Maryland. Has anyone heard back from any of these? especially California State CI, their deadline was 2/1 and that was a while ago?

Has anyone heard back from any of these? especially California State CI, their deadline was 2/1 and that was a while ago?

I heard back from CSUCI on the 24th. Other than that and SMALL (which I guess I didn't get into since I haven't heard back), I didn't apply to any of the ones you listed.

I have heard from UCSB (accepted) and Duluth (instantly denied). Not sure if I should accept UCSB since I have yet to hear back from the others that I applied to (Sam Houston, SMALL, Potsdam, WADE, Emory, Farifield, Connecticut). From previous posts it seems like I should not hold my breath about SMALL and also if you look at Ken Ono's page he has a list of students posted, though maybe those are just the ones who have accepted. Either way I won't hold my breath about that either. Has anyone heard from any of the others?

Likes IDERIVE
Just checked out Ken Ono's page. I didn't apply to Emory, but to me it is sort of aggravating that he chose so many people from Harvard and Stanford, since those are already institutions with tons of research opportunities. I though funding from the government was supposed to go to REUs to support students from small schools without research opportunities. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

IDERIVE said:
I though funding from the government was supposed to go to REUs to support students from small schools without research opportunities. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

You could have checked this yourself. Google is a wonderful thing: His proposal states:

The participants will be chosen from a nationwide search. At least half will be chosen from underrepresented groups, and at least half will be chosen from institutions which do not offer many similar STEM research activities for undergraduates. The REU program will enable undergraduate students to enjoy an enhanced learning experience, including research projects and seminars. The overall goal of the Emory REU in Number Theory is to attract talented undergraduate students to careers in the mathematical sciences.

Update: I accepted UCSB's offer. I did email Sam Houston and was informed that they have just begun making first round offers with over 180 applicants for 12 spots (I was not one of them lol).

Hrothgar, I forgot to ask you, which project at UCSB did you pick? I applied for Sequential Dynamical Systems with Dr. Bartlett.

I put that I was interested in "Hyperplane arrangements, Posets, and Geometry" with Prof. Dougherty. My acceptance email didn't say which project I was going to be working on but I figure it will be on that one. Even if not I don't care I'm just super excited that I got in! Any more news about yay/nay for you IDERIVE?

Congratulations on your acceptance! All of the UCSB ones sounded really interesting so I am sure you'll enjoy whatever they give you.I think it is uncommon for people not to get the one they applied for. If by the small chance I get accepted there, I will go since it was actually my top choice, but I haven't heard back which probably means I didn't get it. I just emailed UCSB to ask if the spots are filled and I will post here when I get a response. I am assuming Sam Houston, Williams, and UCSB are all nays so far. I have yet to hear back from any REUs so far even though I applied to 10, which might be bad news. I am just hoping to get into 1 so I am crossing my fingers. I might start emailing more soon to ask if the spots were filled. I learned that was the trick last year, because I ended up finding out I didn't make it in 2 weeks earlier than most people which is much nicer than waiting.

Likes Hrothgar
Math said:
I attended the Kent State REU last summer and have nothing negative to report. So far as I know, everybody had positive experiences.

There are two projects run this year, one by Jenya Soprunova on lattice point geometry and one by Misha Chebotar in algebra. Jenya directed the REU last year but I didn't interact with her too much. Chebotar's group was in the office next to my group's -- I was in the now defunct analytic number theory group. Chebotar can be a bit goofy and likes to joke around, but at the end of the day he means business and his group is going to make some serious progress in their research. His group last year had submitted their paper with more than a week left in the program and the group from two years ago had their paper published before the start of the Fall semester.

Kent state is located in a midsize college town, 20 minutes away from Akron, which you may choose to fly to with the travel budget if you are more than an hour or two away, and about an hour away from Cleveland. The town itself is quite nice. There is a lovely Mexican restaurant and Five Guys which were favorites last year, but there are maybe a dozen other decent food options as well in addition to cooking in the dorms. No meal plan or allowance is included, but this was never an issue with the available options.

There were plenty things to do provided by the REU: There are weekly activities which included going to the zoo, laser tag, canoeing, etc. Though some of these may sound boring, they were quite enjoyable with the group. There was also a weekly sports activity, which most often was volleyball or Frisbee. Each research group gives a 15-30min talks each week in addition to the usually quite interesting weekly colloquiums.

Regarding the living situation: We had incredibly nice dorms -- they house the REU students in the best dorms on campus. Specifically, we had air-conditioned doubles with private bathroom shared with next-door room. There was a janitor who came weekly to clean our bathrooms and the full kitchen which was shared across the floor.

Overall, I had a great experience and would strongly recommend Kent's REU. That being said, the most weighty consideration in making your decision should probably be your interest/ability in the research topic.

Math said:
*screeching chalk*

I know it's a bit late to help Alexi now, but I wanted to add my two cents on the REU:

I also participated in the Kent REU last year (in Chebotar's group) and wholeheartedly agree with everything Math said. Chebotar is funny, but also a serious researcher who knows good problems and will push you. His groups consistently get good papers for a reason. As for Jenya, I didn't have very much interaction with her last summer either; however, I am familiar with her work and the work of her REU groups. Her groups get good papers (a couple in Discrete and Computational Geometry; a quite nice journal), especially along the vein of this year's research topic (lattice geometry, codes, and algebraic geometry).

Besides that there's really not much to add to what Math said, though I might emphasize that the area is absolutely amazing in terms of restaurants and things to do. The local drive-in movie theater and a grilled cheese restaurant downtown are especially nice. Oh, and who can forget Taco Tontos. Overall, I too would very highly recommend Kent's REU.

DMathmagician said:
I know it's a bit late to help Alexi now, but I wanted to add my two cents on the REU:

I also participated in the Kent REU last year (in Chebotar's group) and wholeheartedly agree with everything Math said. Chebotar is funny, but also a serious researcher who knows good problems and will push you. His groups consistently get good papers for a reason. As for Jenya, I didn't have very much interaction with her last summer either; however, I am familiar with her work and the work of her REU groups. Her groups get good papers (a couple in Discrete and Computational Geometry; a quite nice journal), especially along the vein of this year's research topic (lattice geometry, codes, and algebraic geometry).

Besides that there's really not much to add to what Math said, though I might emphasize that the area is absolutely amazing in terms of restaurants and things to do. The local drive-in movie theater and a grilled cheese restaurant downtown are especially nice. Oh, and who can forget Taco Tontos. Overall, I too would very highly recommend Kent's REU.

Yes yes, I totally neglected to mention the screeching chalk in the afternoons! That was a ton of of fun. Anyway, I'm heading to Texas this summer to work on strongly regular Cayley graphs at Sam Houston's REU.

Last edited:
Math said:
Yes yes, I totally neglected to mention the screeching chalk in the afternoons! That was a ton of of fun. Anyway, I'm heading to Texas this summer to work on strongly regular Cayley graphs at Sam Houston's REU.

Hopefully it becomes a tradition! Nice job on landing SHSU. Sweet project, plus Smith seems like a boss. As for me, I haven't heard back from any of the ~13 I applied to, besides Duluth (insta-rejection) :/. Thankfully 7 or so started reviewing in the past week, so all hope might not be lost. Not that spending a summer with Hartshorne and Eisenbud(s) would be a bad thing.

Anybody have experience with/know anything about the Oregon State REU?

Has anyone heard anything from MSRI or UMN Twin Cities?

If it helps, MSRI got back to me last year (rejection) on March 18th.

Does anyone know how rigorous the University of Hawaii, Hilo program is?

Anybody know what the LSU REU is like (the directors, papers, housing, overall experience, etc.)?

My friend went to the University of Hawaii Hilo REU last year. He seemed to really enjoy it. He never gave the impression that it was extremely rigorous, at least not so much that it got in the way of him enjoying the experience. Did those schools (LSU and Hawaii) respond to you guys yet? I haven't heard anything yet from either.

Yup. I got what I would presume is a first-round offer yesterday. They got them out really quick.

Has anyone heard from Nebraska-Lincoln Applied Math or Missouri State?

LambdaStyle said:
Has anyone heard from Nebraska-Lincoln Applied Math or Missouri State?
I applied to Missouri, but haven't heard from them. Can't be sure about individual review processes, but from my experience programs due ~3/1 will be getting offers out next week some time.

It's interesting that LSU got theirs out this week. Has anybody else heard back from a program due around March 1st?

@Math2017
Are you going to be attending LSU's REU this summer? Maybe I'll see you there(: