Math Textbooks from Algebra to Calculus: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the conversation is about a person who is looking for books to help them catch up on math concepts from Algebra I to Calculus, with a focus on understanding the theory and reasoning behind the concepts rather than just memorizing problem-solving techniques. Suggestions were made for books such as Principles of Mathematics, Allendoerfer and Oakley and Thomas' Calculus, as well as the Schaum's Outline series and Challenge and Thrill of Pre-College Mathematics. The person also mentioned using a book called "Forgotten Algebra" to review and solidify their understanding of algebra.
rageofjam
I think that pretty much describes this topic. I'm in Calc ATM and realized that I've forgotten many ideas from previous math classes. I don't have most of my notes as it was mostly problem solutions anyway, furthermore, that's not really what I want.

I want to start from Algebra I (seriously, like x+1 = 2) and catch up to Calc. I'm motivated, I just need a list of books in succession to learn theory and why something works the way it does. In other words, I don't want the "this is how you solve this problem, memorise it" type stuff teachers give out, I want reasoning and whatnot.

So, does anyone know a good place (books) to start from the beginning and books on continuing past that?t

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Principles of Mathematics, Allendoerfer and Oakley

buhbye :D

G037H3 said:
Principles of Mathematics, Allendoerfer and Oakley

buhbye :D

From Amazon...

1 new from $181.66
7 used from $9.50.

Haha, sweet. I'll buy it used after waiting for more suggestions.

Thomas' Calculus.

Apostol Calculus.

Dickfore said:
Thomas' Calculus.

Apostol Calculus.

He said starting from before calculus.

G037H3 said:
He said starting from before calculus.

They also said:
rageofjam said:
I think that pretty much describes this topic. I'm in Calc ATM ...and catch up to Calc.

Dickfore said:
They also said:

I guarantee that their calc class is easier than those books.

G037H3 said:
I guarantee that their calc class is easier than those books.

That may be why they want to do a serious self-study.

Dickfore said:
That may be why they want to do a serious self-study.

But if they want to start from Algebra I, they obviously aren't ready for the books you recommended.

G037H3 said:
But if they want to start from Algebra I, they obviously aren't ready for the books you recommended.

Algebra is contained in those books.

I suggest that you look at books from the https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...fix=schaum's+outline+series&tag=pfamazon01-20. There's a book on almost any math subject you might be interested in and they are inexpensive. You can browse the Table of Contents on the Amazon link. The PreCalculus volume might be a good starting place. You might be able to find this series in your college or other local bookstore, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
challenge and thrill of pre college mathematics (gives a firm foot in algebra, geometry, combinatorics and trigonometry)

Thanks for the suggestions! Basically, I'm not forgoing class but due to many circumstances I feel behind. My Calc class is great, I honestly understand the process (i.e. how to do the rule/shortcuts, but not WHY it works or WHAT a derivative exactly is) of Differentiation and most of the theorems we're learning in the same regard. Buuut while I understand the topic, I find that my algebra is so poor that while I can do derivatives my algebra is so lacking that I lost A LOT of points on tests because I suck at factoring and whatnot.

This is why I would love to review/relearn topics from scratch (I learn faster on my own) and then read and gain a better understanding of Calculus on my own before I move on to higher math. I want to understand everything, not just know the procedures etc. I hope this clears up any misunderstandings.

Buy, or borrow from your local library, a copy of "Forgotten Algebra" and do every problem in the book as fast as you can go. Then do it all again. That book is specifically for people who once knew algebra, but the brain cells have lost this. I expect you will be surprised how much algebra will come back after having really done this. The only negative comment a student ever made to me about this was that one wished there was a "Forgotten Advanced Algebra."

This book is not a "Bourbaki" development of algebra from the most abstract philosophical principles. It is meant to put back algebra brain cells that were once there that lower level students have lost. If you never knew any algebra it would not be appropriate.

FAQ: Math Textbooks from Algebra to Calculus: A Comprehensive Guide

What are the best ways to find lost textbooks?

1. Check with your school or university's lost and found department. Many times, lost textbooks are turned in here by fellow students or faculty members.

2. Retrace your steps and think about where you last had your textbooks. Check places like classrooms, libraries, or study areas.

3. Ask friends or classmates if they have seen your textbooks or borrowed them without your knowledge.

4. Use social media to post about your lost textbooks and ask for help from your network.

5. Contact the professor or instructor for the class and ask if they have any extra copies or if they can provide digital versions of the textbooks.