Mathematica for Physics - problems

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to plot examples from the book "Mathematica for Physics". They are having trouble with specific commands and have attached their code for help. Another person points out a mistake in their code and suggests a fix for the plot.
maverick280857
Mathematica for Physics -- problems

Hi

I'm trying to work out the solved examples in the book "Mathematica for Physics" [The code is available at http://library.wolfram.com/infocenter/Books/4539/]. But I am unable to plot anything despite using the plot commands given in the book.

Specifically, looking at ch9.nb (available from this link) -- problem 4 (particle propagating toward a rectangular potential), the commands given produce blank plots. I am able to plot simple functions, so I think the problem is with these commands.

I've attached my code with this thread. I'd be really grateful if someone could help me out with this.

Thanks.

Attachments

• problem3.nb
    24.2 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org

Hi Maverick,

there's only one slight mistake in your Mathematica syntax. In your definition of kRules (4th cell in the nb) there should be a , (comma) instead of a ; (semicolon) between kW and kLR. Change that and your plot will look awesome... :smile:

Related to Mathematica for Physics - problems

1. What is Mathematica and how can it be used for physics problems?

Mathematica is a powerful software tool used for mathematical and scientific computations. It is particularly useful for solving problems in physics, as it has built-in functions and algorithms for various mathematical operations and can handle complex calculations with ease. Mathematica can also generate graphs and visualizations, making it a valuable tool for analyzing and understanding physical systems.

2. How can Mathematica help with complex mathematical equations and formulas in physics?

Mathematica has a vast library of built-in functions for solving common mathematical problems, such as differential equations, integrals, and matrix operations. It can also handle symbolic calculations, allowing for easy manipulation and simplification of complex equations and formulas. Additionally, Mathematica's precision and accuracy make it a reliable tool for solving even the most intricate physics problems.

3. Can Mathematica simulate physical systems and phenomena?

Yes, Mathematica has powerful simulation capabilities, allowing for the modeling of physical systems and phenomena. It can handle both discrete and continuous simulations and has tools for visualizing and analyzing the results. This makes it a valuable tool for studying and understanding real-world physical systems and phenomena.

4. Is Mathematica useful for theoretical physics research?

Absolutely. Mathematica can handle complex mathematical calculations and simulations, making it a valuable tool for theoretical physics research. It also has tools for data analysis and visualization, allowing researchers to analyze and present their findings effectively. Many researchers in theoretical physics rely on Mathematica for their work.

5. Can Mathematica be used for teaching physics concepts?

Yes, Mathematica has a user-friendly interface and a variety of tools for visualizing and exploring physics concepts. It can be used as a teaching tool to help students better understand and visualize complex physical systems and phenomena. Additionally, Mathematica's computational capabilities allow for quick and accurate calculations, making it a useful tool for problem-solving and learning in physics courses.