Mathematica Help - Plotting equation with i

In summary, the conversation discusses the issue of correctly plotting a complex equation in Mathematica. The user has tried using different symbols and functions, such as PolarPlot and ParametricPlot, but has encountered difficulties in accurately displaying the curve. They also mention a possible solution using the Abs[] function.
tarheelborn
I cannot seem to make mathematica plot the following equation correctly:

r[t_] = 3 Cos[t] + iSin[t];
plotbeta = PolarPlot[r[t], {t, -Pi/2, Pi/2}]

I have used the capital I to no avail; I have used * to indicate multiplication. It plots the curve without a problem when I leave out the i, but I need the i! I will appreciate your help. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
PolarPlot[], documented here,
http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/PolarPlot.html
plots a Real radius as a function of the angle.

Do you really want to plot a surface in Complex space as a function of Complex radius?
If you want a PolarPlot that plots Complex radii then I don't know what to suggest.
There have been a few example complex plotting functions demonstrated over the years,
I think Roman Maeder developed one of these in the really really old book "Programming in Mathematica."

Or do you perhaps want
r[t_] = Abs[3 Cos[t] + I Sin[t]];
where Abs[] returns the Real distance from the origin to the point 3 Cos[t] + I Sin[t] in the complex plane?

I finally managed to get this using ParametricPlot. It worked beautifully; just took some tweaking! Thank you.

Related to Mathematica Help - Plotting equation with i

What is Mathematica Help?

Mathematica Help is a comprehensive online resource provided by Wolfram Research for users of the Mathematica software. It contains documentation, tutorials, examples, and other resources to help users learn and use Mathematica effectively.

How do I plot an equation with i in Mathematica?

To plot an equation with i in Mathematica, you can use the Plot function and specify the equation in the form of a complex number, using I to represent the imaginary unit. For example, to plot the equation x + I*y = 1, you can use the command Plot[x + I*y == 1, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}].

Can I plot multiple equations with i in one graph?

Yes, you can plot multiple equations with i in one graph by using the Plot function with a list of equations. For example, to plot the equations x + I*y = 1 and x - I*y = 1 in the same graph, you can use the command Plot[{x + I*y == 1, x - I*y == 1}, {x, -1, 1}, {y, -1, 1}].

How can I customize the appearance of my plot?

You can customize the appearance of your plot by using various options in the Plot function, such as PlotStyle, AxesLabel, and PlotRange. You can also use the Graphics function to add additional elements to your plot, such as labels, arrows, and legends.

Can I use complex numbers as variables in my equations?

Yes, you can use complex numbers as variables in your equations in Mathematica. Simply use I to represent the imaginary unit and use it in your equations as you would with any other variable. For example, z = x + I*y represents a complex number with real part x and imaginary part y.