[MATHEMATICA issue] Convergence on data?

In summary, Bill was helpful and gave me a few pointers on how to use Mathematica to do a simple linear regression.
choffan
Hi all,
Due to my idiotic uncapability with mathematical software, I'm unable in using Mathematica (8.0) for a very trivial issue.
I've a set from different countries data and I have to study a descriptive convergence, but I'm unable. The matter is simply putting the dates on a plot and work on it, creating an average line and taking distances with actual points.
Any suggestion would be warmely appreciated

;(

Physics news on Phys.org
Meta Comment: A couple of decades ago Donald Norman wrote "If you had toaster that didn't work you would kick it down the stairs and not blame yourself for being not being "toaster literate", but with computers people tend to blame most of it on themselves.
End Meta Comment.

Since I don't have much information about the form of your data I'm trying to guess here. Is your data in the form {{date,value},{date,value}...} or can you make up a little data like that? If so then peek at http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/DateListPlot.html and see some examples of how to plot date related data.

If that isn't helpful enough then please provide a little more information about the form of your data and how you want it displayed and I'll see if I can help you get it working.

Hey Bill,
I'm grateful for your appreciated help, it seems you got the point, despite my confuse picture of the mess. The real thing is that I never used Mathematica, only TSP, SPSS, and other econometrics-stuff. For sure using Excel (or SPSS) for this kind of problems seem to be quite immediate, but I wanted to exploit this simple task as an opportunity to learn Mathematica.

I'll review your material indepth this evening (Italy time) and give you an answer as soon as I can.

Thanks again!

Mathematica has at least a couple of "ready-to-use" ("prêt-à-porter") linear regression routines (functions).

Thanks for the help, I appreciate!

I'm sorry that I'd been away for awhile, but I had to format my pc and go back to my hometown. I'll be back as soon as possible!

Related to [MATHEMATICA issue] Convergence on data?

1. How do I check for convergence on my data using Mathematica?

To check for convergence on data using Mathematica, you can use the function ConvergenceTest[data]. This function will run various convergence tests on your data and return a boolean value indicating whether the data is convergent or not.

2. What are the available convergence tests in Mathematica?

Some of the available convergence tests in Mathematica include the RootTest, RatioTest, LimitTest, and IntegralTest. These tests can be used to check for convergence on different types of data, such as sequences, series, and integrals.

3. Can I customize the convergence test in Mathematica?

Yes, you can customize the convergence test in Mathematica by specifying the test you want to use in the ConvergenceTest[data, test] function. You can also adjust the options and parameters for each test to suit your specific needs.

4. How do I interpret the results of a convergence test in Mathematica?

The results of a convergence test in Mathematica will be either True or False, indicating whether the data is convergent or not. If the result is True, the data is considered to be convergent, and if the result is False, the data is considered to be divergent.

5. Are there any built-in functions in Mathematica to help with convergence analysis?

Yes, there are several built-in functions in Mathematica that can assist with convergence analysis, such as ConvergenceTest, SumConvergence, and SeriesConvergence. These functions provide various tools and tests for checking the convergence of data and can be very helpful in analyzing and understanding the behavior of your data.