Mathematica: numerical non-evaluation of special functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of obtaining numerical values for sums of Meijer-G functions in Mathematica. The function is evaluated numerically but some results are not evaluated due to precision limit issues. The conversation also mentions the possibility of the function being zero at the origin and its limit as x approaches zero, but this is not confirmed by the PossibleZeroQ test. There is also a discussion about creating a table of these results and the error message that was received. Finally, there is a request for help in preventing the complicated way of writing zero as a result of doing an integral.
muppet
Hi all,
I've been getting Mathematica to do some integrals for me, which are typically returning sums of Meijer-G functions. When I try and obtain numerical values for these sums, some of my results have contained terms which Mathematica has refused to evaluate numerically; an example is
MeijerG[{{}, {}}, {{1, 7/6, 4/3, 4/3, 3/2, 5/3, 11/6}, {0, 5/6, 7/6, 4/3, 3/2, 5/3, 11/6}}, 0]

Inside a N[], Mathematica just spits back
N[%]= MeijerG[{{}, {}}, {{1., 1.16667, 1.33333, 1.33333, 1.5, 1.66667, 1.83333}, {0., 0.833333, 1.16667, 1.33333, 1.5, 1.66667, 1.83333}}, 0.]

A plot of the (real and imaginary parts of the) function
MeijerG[{{}, {}}, {{1, 7/6, 4/3, 4/3, 3/2, 5/3, 11/6}, {0, 5/6, 7/6, 4/3, 3/2, 5/3, 11/6}}, x]
suggests that it vanishes at the origin, and its limit as x->0 is zero. But the test PossibleZeroQ, applied to this function at zero argument, yields the result "False".

If anyone could explain to me what's going on here, I'd be grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Update: when I tried to create a table of these results, I got an error message I didn't get yesterday:
N::meprec: Internal precision limit $ MaxExtraPrecision=50`. reached whilst evaluating MeijerG[...].

(Why it would helpfully tell me this today but not yesterday I have no idea, but never mind.)

It looks as if this value is indeed zero, which somehow upsets Mathematica's idea of precision, so I'm recreating my table now using the command Quiet[N[MeijerG[...]]]. I'll be back if that doesn't work, but otherwise thanks to all who read this.

In my previous post I forgot that the problematic expression was the result of doing an integral, so the output to my table was still given as a number plus this complicated way of writing zero; it also gives the absolute value of each entry formally in terms of this abomination, rather than as a number. Does anyone know a way of preventing this from happening?

For some choices of parameters MeijerG is not defined! Try posting whole integral.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your experience with Mathematica and special functions. From what you have described, it seems that Mathematica is having trouble evaluating the Meijer-G function numerically. This could be due to the complexity of the function or potential limitations of the software.

In general, special functions can be challenging to evaluate numerically because they often have complex mathematical properties and may require special algorithms or techniques. It is not uncommon for numerical evaluation of special functions to produce unexpected or non-numerical results.

As for the discrepancy between the plot and the PossibleZeroQ test, this could also be due to the numerical evaluation of the function. It is possible that the function is approaching zero at the origin, but due to the limitations of numerical precision, it is not exactly equal to zero and therefore the PossibleZeroQ test returns "False".

In any case, it is always important to carefully analyze and interpret numerical results, especially when dealing with complex functions. I would recommend consulting with a mathematician or expert in special functions for a more in-depth explanation of your specific case.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Keep exploring and experimenting with Mathematica - it is a powerful tool for scientific research and discovery. Best of luck in your endeavors!

Related to Mathematica: numerical non-evaluation of special functions

1. What is Mathematica?

Mathematica is a powerful software program used for mathematical and scientific computations. It allows users to perform complex calculations, visualize data, and solve equations, among many other features.

2. What are numerical non-evaluation and special functions in Mathematica?

Numerical non-evaluation refers to the process of computing values for mathematical expressions without using symbolic manipulation. Special functions, on the other hand, are mathematical functions that have specific properties and applications, such as the gamma function or Bessel functions.

3. How does Mathematica handle numerical non-evaluation of special functions?

Mathematica uses a combination of built-in algorithms and user-defined precision settings to accurately compute values for special functions without evaluating them symbolically. This allows for efficient and accurate calculations, especially for complex functions.

4. Can Mathematica handle any type of special function?

Yes, Mathematica has a vast library of built-in special functions that cover a wide range of mathematical topics, including number theory, differential equations, and probability. Additionally, users can define their own custom special functions using the built-in function definitions in Mathematica.

5. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica for numerical non-evaluation of special functions?

While Mathematica is a powerful tool for handling numerical non-evaluation of special functions, it is not a substitute for mathematical knowledge and understanding. Users must have a basic understanding of the underlying concepts and properties of the special functions they are working with in order to use Mathematica effectively. Additionally, the accuracy of the results may be affected by the precision settings chosen by the user.