Mathematica Tough Log Integration

In summary: In your case, I don't see an obvious transformation.In summary, the conversation is about a problem with performing an integration involving a complicated integrand and limits. The speaker would like to find an algebraic solution, but is open to using numerical integration if necessary. They have attempted to simplify the integrand, but have not found a solution. The conversation ends with the suggestion that there may not be an analytical solution and that a coordinate transformation may be needed.
Hepth
Gold Member
I have an integration to perform

[tex]\sqrt{\text{E1}^2-m^2} Log\left( \frac{m^2-m_B E1-m_B\sqrt{E1^2-m^2}}{m^2-m_B E1+m_B \sqrt{E1^2-m^2}}\right)[/tex]
Code:
Sqrt[E1^2 - m^2]
  log((m^2 - mB (Sqrt[E1^2 - m^2] + E1))/(
  mB (Sqrt[E1^2 - m^2] - E1) + m^2))

over the region {E1,m,mB/2}

E1 is the variable. m is the minimum. mB/2 the max.

The integrand is valid over that region, and the two limits are both the points where the integrand crosses the axis.

I'd like an algebraic solution if possible. I can always go to numerical integration, but I'd prefer not to at this stage.

Mathematica won't solve it without limits, it just spits out the integral again. Same thing with the limits, but takes about 5 minutes to spit out the input.

Anyone have any non-numerical ideas?the plot:
Code:
tmp2 = Sqrt[E1^2 - m^2]
   Log[(m^2 - mB (Sqrt[E1^2 - m^2] + E1))/(
   mB (Sqrt[E1^2 - m^2] - E1) + m^2)];
tmp3 = tmp2 /. {mB -> 5000., m -> 100., \[Lambda]2 -> 1.} // 
  FullSimplify;
Plot[tmp3, {E1, 100, 6000}, PlotRange -> {{0, 3000}, {0, 40000}}]

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think my limits are too high... nevermind.

EDIT: no theyre not, :) please help

Last edited:
Have you attempted to simplify the integrand by hand?

yeah, it simplifies a little, but doesn't change the problem. I think I made a mistake somewhere though, so give me another day before trying this. It'll probably change.

I simplified it some. Still a problem. Original equation updated.

The integration bounds are the same as the functions limits in the positive E1 region.

Usually, if Mathematica cannot solve the integral then that means that there is no analytical solution. I.e. Mathematica can do pretty much any integral that you would find in a book.

The only case where I have found a problem where an integral would not solve and I could do something about it was when there was some coordinate transformation that I could make which simplified it into something that was solvable.

Related to Mathematica Tough Log Integration

1. What is "Mathematica Tough Log Integration"?

"Mathematica Tough Log Integration" is a built-in feature in the Mathematica software that allows users to perform complex mathematical calculations involving logarithms and other functions. It is particularly useful for solving difficult integrals involving logarithmic functions.

2. How does "Mathematica Tough Log Integration" work?

"Mathematica Tough Log Integration" uses a combination of symbolic and numerical methods to compute integrals involving logarithmic functions. It employs advanced algorithms and techniques to handle complicated expressions, making it a powerful tool for mathematical analysis.

3. Can "Mathematica Tough Log Integration" handle all types of logarithmic functions?

Yes, "Mathematica Tough Log Integration" is designed to handle a wide range of logarithmic functions, including natural logarithms, logarithmic functions with different bases, and even complex logarithmic functions.

4. How accurate are the results obtained using "Mathematica Tough Log Integration"?

The accuracy of the results obtained using "Mathematica Tough Log Integration" depends on the complexity of the integral and the precision settings chosen by the user. By default, Mathematica uses machine-precision arithmetic, but users can specify higher precision if desired.

5. Can "Mathematica Tough Log Integration" be used for other types of mathematical calculations?

Yes, "Mathematica Tough Log Integration" is just one of the many powerful features of the Mathematica software. It can also be used for a variety of other mathematical calculations, such as solving differential equations, performing matrix operations, and generating graphs and plots.