MATHEMATICA5 - How do I plot this?

• Mathematica
  • Thread starter DivGradCurl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Plot
In summary, the conversation is about using Mathematica to plot the integral of 1/x^1.3 and its approximations with left and right endpoints. The instruction given was Integrate[1/x^1.3, {x, 0, infinity}] and the result given was -3.33333/x^0.3, indicating that the integral does not converge in that interval. The person also mentions that Mathematica has detailed help for this task.
DivGradCurl
[tex] \int _1 ^{\infty} \frac{1}{x^{1.3}}dx [/tex]​

I need to plot this integral and approximations with left and right endpoints using Mathematica. I've tried a google search to get some instructions... but nothing. Does anyone know how to do this?

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematica contains very detailed help internally.

I'm a bit confused what you mean by plotting this integral though -- the result of this integral is just a number. Do you mean to plot the integrand?

- Warren

Oh, I mean the area under the graph of [tex] \frac{1}{x^{1.3}} [/tex]. Well, thanks for the tip.

It says that Integral of 1/x^1.3 does not converge in that interval.

The instruction given was Integrate[1/x^1.3, {x, 0, infinity}]

And, the result given is:[tex]- \frac{3.33333}{x^{0.3}}[/tex]

Related to MATHEMATICA5 - How do I plot this?

1. How do I input my data into Mathematica for plotting?

In Mathematica, data can be input in several ways: using the "Import" function to load a file, manually typing in numbers, or using the "Table" or "List" functions to generate data.

2. How do I choose the type of plot for my data?

In Mathematica, there are various types of plots available such as scatter plots, line plots, bar graphs, etc. To choose the type of plot, you can use the "Plot" function and specify the type of plot using the "PlotStyle" option.

3. How do I add labels and titles to my plot?

To add labels and titles to your plot, you can use the "PlotLabel" and "AxesLabel" options in the "Plot" function. These options allow you to specify the text for the title and axis labels respectively.

4. Can I customize the appearance of my plot?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of your plot by using various options in the "Plot" function such as "PlotStyle" for changing the color and style of the plot, "PlotRange" for adjusting the range of the axes, and "Ticks" for customizing the tick marks on the axes.

5. How can I save my plot as an image or export it to a file?

To save your plot as an image, you can use the "Export" function and specify the desired file format such as "PNG", "JPEG", or "PDF". You can also use the "Save As" option in the plot window to save the plot as an image or a Mathematica notebook file.