Mathematical/Computational Biology - grad school

In summary: I'm really interested in mathematical/computational biology, but I'm not sure if that's the best area to focus on for grad school.In summary, the applied math major is considering applying to grad schools interested in studying mathematical/computational biology, but is unsure if that is the best area to focus on. She has some classes in bio that may help her understand the field better.
ptolema
I'm getting ready to apply to grad schools, and I'm having a hard time choosing schools to apply to. I'm an applied math major, and I'm really interested in mathematical/computational biology. I don't necessarily want to study math in grad school, but I'm open to math programs with a more interdisciplinary approach. So far, I have this tentative list:

UCSF - Integrative Program in Quantitative Biology
UCSD - Bioinformatics and Systems Biology
Duke University - Math
Duke University - Computational Biology & Bioinformatics

Can anyone offer advice/suggestions to help me decide which to apply to?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey there. Computational/statistical bio is a very neat program. I met some UCLA faculty in that program about a year ago before I applied to grad school just to learn what's it's like - a family friend is a professor there. I ended up going for physics elsewhere, but I learned a lot from visiting.

Do you have at least 1 or 2 bio classes? All the staff mentioned that even though it's math based, you have to have a bio background of sorts or at least demonstrate an interest in it. That stopped me from applying for it. The work is very cool though to say the least.

Edit: the faculty were all very nice there.

Likes 1 person
UChicago has some faculty you may be interested in (likely not, but may as well mention them) - Aaron Dinner, Jonathan Weare and Greg Voth.

Likes 1 person
F=qE said:
Hey there. Computational/statistical bio is a very neat program. I met some UCLA faculty in that program about a year ago before I applied to grad school just to learn what's it's like - a family friend is a professor there. I ended up going for physics elsewhere, but I learned a lot from visiting.

Do you have at least 1 or 2 bio classes? All the staff mentioned that even though it's math based, you have to have a bio background of sorts or at least demonstrate an interest in it. That stopped me from applying for it. The work is very cool though to say the least.

Edit: the faculty were all very nice there.

I do have some bio classes (1 year of general biology) and a summer internship involving genetics and computational bio. I've also picked up some bio from sitting in on classes and video lectures. Is there a particular area/course that they prefer?

As a fellow scientist in the field of mathematical/computational biology, I can offer some advice and suggestions to help you in your decision-making process.

Firstly, it's great that you have a clear interest in this interdisciplinary field and have identified some potential programs that align with your interests. My first suggestion would be to thoroughly research each program and its faculty members to see if their research aligns with your interests. This will not only give you a better understanding of the program's focus but also help you identify potential advisors for your graduate studies.

Additionally, I would recommend reaching out to current graduate students or alumni from these programs to get a first-hand perspective on their experience. They can provide valuable insights into the program's strengths and weaknesses, the faculty's mentorship style, and the overall culture of the department.

Another factor to consider is the coursework and curriculum of each program. As someone with an applied math background, you may want to look for programs that offer a balance of both mathematical and biological coursework. This will allow you to build a strong foundation in both fields and apply mathematical concepts to biological problems effectively.

Lastly, consider the location and resources available at each institution. Some programs may have access to cutting-edge research facilities or collaborations with nearby research institutions, which can enhance your graduate experience and provide opportunities for research collaborations.

Overall, it's essential to carefully consider your research interests, the program's focus, and the resources available before making your final decision. I wish you the best of luck in your graduate school search and future studies in mathematical/computational biology.

FAQ: Mathematical/Computational Biology - grad school

What is the difference between mathematical and computational biology?

Mathematical biology is focused on developing mathematical models to explain biological systems and predict their behavior. Computational biology uses computer algorithms and simulations to analyze large sets of biological data and make predictions about biological processes.

What are the prerequisites for a graduate program in mathematical/computational biology?

The specific prerequisites may vary between different graduate programs, but generally, a strong background in mathematics, biology, and computer science is required. Courses in statistics and programming are also beneficial.

Can I pursue a graduate degree in mathematical/computational biology if my undergraduate degree is in a different field?

Yes, many graduate programs in mathematical/computational biology accept students from diverse backgrounds. However, you may need to take additional courses to fulfill the prerequisites for the program.

What career opportunities are available for graduates of a mathematical/computational biology program?

Graduates of a mathematical/computational biology program can pursue careers in academia, research institutes, pharmaceutical companies, biotechnology companies, and government agencies. They can work as researchers, data analysts, computational biologists, or bioinformaticians.

What skills are important for success in a graduate program in mathematical/computational biology?

Strong mathematical and computational skills are essential for success in a graduate program in mathematical/computational biology. Additionally, critical thinking, problem-solving, and communication skills are also important for conducting research and presenting findings in this field.