Can You Prove \(x_n < x_{n+1}\) Using Induction?

She clarifies that she understands the concept but is struggling with this particular problem. A suggestion is made to show that the expression under the radical for x_{n+1} is always greater than x_n due to the fact that x_n>0 and 2 plus a positive number will always be greater than 2. However, it is pointed out that induction is necessary, as shown by the example of x_n=98 and x_{n+1}=(2+98)^{1/2}=100^{1/2}=10<98=x_n. The
MrBailey
Hi, all.
I'm working on some proof by induction problems. While I understand the concept, this one threw me for a loop.
Let [tex]x_1=\sqrt{2}[/tex] and [tex]x_{n+1}=\sqrt{2+x_n}[/tex]
Show that [tex]x_n < x_{n+1}[/tex]
I'd greatly appreciate help with this.
Thanks,
bailey

Physics news on Phys.org
sure you need to use induction? i would show that the stuff under the radical for [tex] x_{n+1}> x_n[/tex] we know this because [tex]x_n>0[/tex]. and 2 plus some other positive number will always be greater than two, and therefore the sq rt of that sum will be greater eh?

Uh, you certainly need induction. If xn = 98, then xn+1 = (2 + 98)1/2 = 1001/2 = 10 < 98 = xn.

Show that x1 < x2
Assume that xk < xk+1
Use this to prove that xk+1 < xk+2
Write out xk+1 and xk+2 in terms of xk. Then there xk+1 < xk+2 will follow immediately from xk < xk+1 as long as you know that the function f defined by f(a) = a1/2 is an increasing function.

thanks...much clearer now

Bailey

Related to Can You Prove \(x_n < x_{n+1}\) Using Induction?

1. What is mathematical induction?

Mathematical induction is a method of mathematical proof used to prove that a statement is true for all natural numbers. It involves proving that the statement holds for a particular number, and then showing that if it holds for any one number, it must also hold for the next number in sequence.

2. How does mathematical induction work?

Mathematical induction works by breaking down a problem into smaller parts, and then using the fact that the statement holds for one part to show that it must also hold for the next part. This process is repeated until the statement has been proven for all natural numbers.

3. What is the difference between strong and weak induction?

Strong induction is a generalization of mathematical induction that allows for the use of multiple base cases, while weak induction only uses one base case. Strong induction is typically used when proving statements about larger numbers or more complex sequences.

4. Can mathematical induction be used to prove any statement?

No, mathematical induction can only be used to prove statements that are true for all natural numbers. It cannot be used to prove statements that are only true for a specific set of numbers or for infinite sets of numbers.

5. What are the common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using mathematical induction include assuming that the statement holds for all numbers without explicitly proving it for each step, using incorrect or incomplete base cases, and making incorrect assumptions about the problem. It is important to carefully follow each step of the induction process and thoroughly check all assumptions and calculations.