Mathematical methods for physicists

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on how to begin studying physics after purchasing several classic textbooks. They have a specific order in mind for studying the material, but are open to suggestions for a better sequence. They also ask for recommendations for a good lecture series to accompany their current textbook. The conversation ends with some general suggestions on how to navigate and use the Physics Forums website for self-study purposes.
PrathameshR
I'm currently doing mechanical engineering undergraduate degree but I don't want to continue with this field for further education. I'm more interested in physics. That's why I have started studying on my own. I'm really confused how to start. I have purchased several classic textbooks on classical mechanics, quantum mechanics, electrodynamics, solid state etc but I'm really confused what to do first. I have decided the following order 1. Mathematical methods 2. Classical mechanics 3. Electrodynamics 4. Quantum mechanics 5. Solid state nuclear etc. Should I go in this order or not? Can someone suggested a better sequence with its advantages over this one?

Also I have started reading mathematical methods for physicists by arfken and Weber . Can someone suggeste a good lecture series that will go with it?

Any other suggestions regarding starting rigourous study of physics are also welcome. Thank you[emoji4]

Physics news on Phys.org
Also tell me if this is the correct subforum to post this query .

Your order is a fairly standard one and seems reasonable to me. I would only comment that it's not necessary to do all of mathematical methods before beginning the physics. Once you feel comfortable with ordinary differential equations you could start the classical mechanics. Once you understand some vector calculus and solving linear PDEs you could make it through E&M. Depending on what books you have chosen, some of these prerequisites might appear in the actual physics books. Good luck.

Likes fresh_42
PrathameshR said:
Sorry but I'm not getting what you said. Can you explain?
I just wanted to point out that the other book mentioned in your other thread might be an alternative (or addition) to Arfken and Weber. Concerning your other question about the order, @Haborix already summarized it pretty well, so I saw no need to repeat what he already has said.

fresh_42 said:
I just wanted to point out that the other book mentioned in your other thread might be an alternative (or addition) to Arfken and Weber. Concerning your other question about the order, @Haborix already summarized it pretty well, so I saw no need to repeat what he already has said.
The two threads are in different subforums.im new to this forum so still learning to categorise topic into subforum. I originally wanted to know about lecture series.

fresh_42 said:
Thanks.

If you're not sure where to post a question, you can report it and ask to move it to a better one, but you'll probably get used to it quite soon. Only questions about textbook examples, exercises and similar should be posted in the homework section and the template there must be used. This is important to us, as we want to help and teach students. PF is more a qualified tutorial than an answering machine. We think that concepts can be learned more effectively this way, than by giving ready made solutions. Especially when you're studying on your own, this will be a great support as we try to accompany the learning process. The golden rule here is: if differential equations are involved, it's either "Calculus and Beyond" or "Advanced Physics" and if it is about elementary questions like those about forces, it's probably "Precalculus" or "Introductory Physics".

There are also some Insights articles about self-studying, e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/problems-self-studying/
I'm not sure whether we have specific articles about physical fields. I know of several for all kinds of mathematical fields. You can try the search function there, which is a different one than the one on this page.

For lecture notes, you can use google and search, e.g. for "classical mechanics lecture notes", and you will find many, as most universities have lecture notes on their servers. For videos, try Feynman's videos on youtube. In general there is no substitution for textbooks and videos can't answer questions. But you can have a try. Some students use the Khan academy https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics but I'm not sure whether this is a good recommendation. In the end you'll have to find out what's the best way for you to learn. I prefer books over videos, it's easier to look up previous pages.

fresh_42 said:
If you're not sure where to post a question, you can report it and ask to move it to a better one, but you'll probably get used to it quite soon. Only questions about textbook examples, exercises and similar should be posted in the homework section and the template there must be used. This is important to us, as we want to help and teach students. PF is more a qualified tutorial than an answering machine. We think that concepts can be learned more effectively this way, than by giving ready made solutions. Especially when you're studying on your own, this will be a great support as we try to accompany the learning process. The golden rule here is: if differential equations are involved, it's either "Calculus and Beyond" or "Advanced Physics" and if it is about elementary questions like those about forces, it's probably "Precalculus" or "Introductory Physics".

There are also some Insights articles about self-studying, e.g. https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/problems-self-studying/
I'm not sure whether we have specific articles about physical fields. I know of several for all kinds of mathematical fields. You can try the search function there, which is a different one than the one on this page.

For lecture notes, you can use google and search, e.g. for "classical mechanics lecture notes", and you will find many, as most universities have lecture notes on their servers. For videos, try Feynman's videos on youtube. In general there is no substitution for textbooks and videos can't answer questions. But you can have a try. Some students use the Khan academy https://www.khanacademy.org/science/physics but I'm not sure whether this is a good recommendation. In the end you'll have to find out what's the best way for you to learn. I prefer books over videos, it's easier to look up previous pages.
This is really helpful . Thanks

Related to Mathematical methods for physicists

1. What is the purpose of mathematical methods in physics?

The purpose of mathematical methods in physics is to provide a precise and rigorous language for describing and understanding physical phenomena. It allows physicists to make predictions, develop theories, and solve complex problems.

2. What are some common mathematical methods used in physics?

Some common mathematical methods used in physics include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, vector calculus, and complex analysis. These methods are used to describe and analyze the behavior of physical systems.

3. How important is a strong mathematical foundation for physicists?

A strong mathematical foundation is crucial for physicists as it allows them to accurately model and understand the physical world. Without a solid understanding of mathematical methods, it would be difficult to make accurate predictions and develop theories.

4. Can mathematical methods be applied to all areas of physics?

Yes, mathematical methods can be applied to all areas of physics, from classical mechanics and electromagnetism to quantum mechanics and astrophysics. However, the specific methods used may vary depending on the specific field and problem being studied.

5. How can one improve their proficiency in mathematical methods for physics?

One can improve their proficiency in mathematical methods for physics by practicing regularly and seeking out additional resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and problem sets. Collaborating with other physicists and seeking guidance from mentors can also be beneficial.