Mathematical methods of Physics, ODE

In summary: K}{2}, a_2=\left ( \frac{4+K}{2} \right )\left ( \frac{8+K}{3\cdot 2} \right ), a_3=-\frac{(4+K)}{2} \left ( \frac{8+K}{3\cdot 2} \right ) \left ( \frac{12+K}{4\cdot 3} \right ).In summary, the DE xy''-2xy'+(K-3x)y=0 (1) has a bounded solution in (0,
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

For what values of K does the DE [itex]xy''-2xy'+(K-3x)y=0[/itex] (1) has a bounded solution in [itex](0, \infty)[/itex]?

Homework Equations

Not so sure, Frobenius method maybe.

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I check what happens when x tends to infinity. I see that the DE behaves like [itex]\phi ''-2 \phi '-3 \phi =0[/itex]. Where [itex]\phi (x)=c_1e^{3x}+c_2e^{-x}[/itex]. I checked out and this indeed satisfies the DE (2).
I propose a solution to (1) of the form [itex]y(x)=f(x) \phi (x)[/itex]. So I calculated y' and y'' and replaced all this into the DE (1) and after a lot of algebra I reached that the DE (1) is equivalent to the DE [itex]f''(x)+4f'(x)+f(x) \left ( \frac{Kc_1e^{3x}}{x} \right ) \cdot \left ( \frac{1}{c_1e^{3x}+c_2e^{-x}} \right )=0[/itex] (3) where these [itex]c_1[/itex] and [itex]c_2[/itex] differs from the ones given in the expression for [itex]\phi (x)[/itex] but this doesn't matter, they are constants. Now I must say I'm not really eager to use Frobenius's method on the DE (3). Mainly due to the denominator. I don't really know how to proceed... any help will be appreciated as usual.

Physics news on Phys.org
Not sure if it will help, but surely you wouldn't want to include the e3x in your calculations because it isn't bounded. I would try just the e-x part, but no guarantees; I haven't tried it myself.

LCKurtz said:
Not sure if it will help, but surely you wouldn't want to include the e3x in your calculations because it isn't bounded. I would try just the e-x part, but no guarantees; I haven't tried it myself.
Whoops, you're absolutely right! I forgot about this. :redface:

I progressed on the problem.
I skip the algebra, and I must solve [itex]f''(x)-4f'(x)+\frac{K}{x}f(x)=0[/itex]. I use Frobenius's method on it and this gave me the indicial equation s=0 (that I discard later) and s=1.
I reach the recurrence relation [itex]a_{n+1}=\frac{-a_n [4(n+s)+K]}{(n+2)(n+1)}[/itex].
The values of K they ask for is when [itex]a_{n+1}=0[/itex] and [itex]a_n \neq 0[/itex]. So [itex]K=-4n-4[/itex] with n going from 0 to infinity. (This is, I hope, the answer to the problem).
However say I want to find the general terms [itex]a_n[/itex] in [itex]\sum _{n=0}^{\infty} a_nx^{n+1}[/itex].
I'm currently trying to find a pattern, by setting [itex]a_0=1[/itex] between the [itex]a_n[/itex]'s but I'm not getting sucessful in it.
[itex]a_0=1[/itex], [itex]a_1=-\frac{4+K}{2}[/itex], [itex]a_2=\left ( \frac{4+K}{2} \right )\left ( \frac{8+K}{3\cdot 2} \right )[/itex], [itex]a_3=-\frac{(4+K)}{2} \left ( \frac{8+K}{3\cdot 2} \right ) \left ( \frac{12+K}{4\cdot 3} \right )[/itex].

So far I realize that [itex]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n}{n!(n+1)!}[/itex] multiplied by something that I'm not sure (and don't find yet). Maybe something similar to [itex]\frac{(4n+K)!}{(4n+K-1)(4n+K-2)(4n+K-3)}[/itex]. Can someone help me on this task?

Did you perhaps make a sign error? I find the recursion relation to be
[tex]a_{n+1} = -\frac{K-4(n+1)}{(n+1)(n+2)} a_n.[/tex]

vela said:
Did you perhaps make a sign error? I find the recursion relation to be
[tex]a_{n+1} = -\frac{K-4(n+1)}{(n+1)(n+2)} a_n.[/tex]

Yes I think I did, though now I get a different answer from ours.
From [itex]f''(x)-4f'(x)+\frac{K}{x}f(x)=0[/itex] and [itex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s}[/itex], I reach that it's equivalent to [itex]\sum_{n=-1}^{\infty}a_{n+1}(n+s)(n+s+1) x^{n+s-2}-4\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n(n+s) x^{n+s-1}-K \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s-1}=0[/itex]
[itex] \Rightarrow a_0s(s-1)x^{s-2}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s-1} [-4(n+s)-K]+a_{n+1}(n+s+1)(n+s)x^{n+s-1}=0[/itex].
So [itex]-a_n [4(n+s)+K]+a_{n+1}(n+s+1)(n+s)=0\Rightarrow a_{n+1}=\frac{a_n[4(n+s)+K]}{(n+s+1)(n+s)}[/itex].

Mod note: fixed LaTeX

Last edited by a moderator:
fluidistic said:
Yes I think I did, though now I get a different answer from ours.
From [itex]f''(x)-4f'(x)+\frac{K}{x}f(x)=0[/itex] and [itex]f(x)=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s}[/itex], I reach that it's equivalent to [tex]\sum_{n=-1}^{\infty}a_{n+1}(n+s)(n+s+1) x^{n+s-2}-4\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n(n+s) x^{n+s-1}-K \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s-1}=0[/tex]
You changed the sign on the K term, so you should get
[tex]a_0s(s-1)x^{s-2}+\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_n x^{n+s-1} [K-4(n+s)]+a_{n+1}(n+s+1)(n+s)x^{n+s-1}=0.[/tex]Then you made one more sign error which got rid of the alternating sign.

You are right, I made a typo when I copied the DE when I turned the page of my draft for the sign of K. I now reach your result.
I'm trying to find a pattern by calculating the first terms, assuming [itex]a_0=1[/itex].
[itex]a_1=-\frac{(K-4)}{2}, a_2=\frac{(K-4)(K-8)}{2\cdot 3\cdot 2}[/itex], etc.
My attempt is [itex]a_n=\frac{(-1)^n(K-4)(K-8)...(K-4n)}{n!(n+1)!}[/itex] but this doesn't work for [itex]a_0[/itex] since I get K instead of 1.

If you require that the series terminates, you know K has the form K=4m where m=1, 2, 3, ...

vela said:
If you require that the series terminates, you know K has the form K=4m where m=1, 2, 3, ...

Yes indeed. [itex]K-4(n+1)=0 \Rightarrow k=4(n+1)[/itex] with n=0, 1, etc. which is equivalent to K=4m for m=1, 2, etc.
I was just trying to do more than what they asked me. I wanted to express [itex]a_n[/itex] in terms of n only rather than [itex]a_{n+1}[/itex] in terms of [itex]a_n[/itex]. I don't think it really matters anyway, but since I've a weakness in doing it I wanted to eradicate it. :smile:

I didn't do this calculation out carefully yesterday so I may have made a mistake, but I think you can use the fact that K=4m to express an in terms of n and m.

Related to Mathematical methods of Physics, ODE

1. What is the importance of mathematical methods in physics?

Mathematical methods are essential in physics because they provide the tools necessary to describe and analyze physical phenomena. They allow for precise and quantitative predictions, which are crucial for the development and testing of theories in physics.

2. What are some common mathematical methods used in physics?

Some common mathematical methods used in physics include calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, and complex analysis. These methods are used to model and solve problems in mechanics, electromagnetism, thermodynamics, and other branches of physics.

3. How are ordinary differential equations (ODEs) used in physics?

ODEs are used in physics to describe the behavior of continuously changing physical systems. They are used to model various phenomena such as motion, heat transfer, and population dynamics. ODEs are also an essential tool in solving problems in classical mechanics and electricity and magnetism.

4. Can ODEs be solved analytically?

In some cases, ODEs can be solved analytically, which means that a closed-form solution can be obtained. This means that the solution can be expressed in terms of familiar mathematical functions such as polynomials, exponentials, and trigonometric functions. However, in more complex cases, numerical methods may be needed to approximate the solution.

5. How are ODEs used in modern physics?

In modern physics, ODEs are used in a wide range of areas, including quantum mechanics, relativity, and chaos theory. They are also used in the development of mathematical models for complex systems, such as weather patterns and population dynamics. Additionally, ODEs are essential in the study of dynamical systems and their behavior over time.