Mathematical Methods or Complex Analysis?

In summary, physical chemistry majors do not need to take complex analysis, but may find it useful later on. Mathematical methods 1 is a good choice for those who have already taken Linear Algebra.
djh101
Hi, Physics Forums. I just have a quick question regarding which two math-type electives I should take as a physical chemistry major. Right now I am enrolled in Linear Algebra (Math 115A) and Mathematical Methods for Physicists (Physics 131) and plan on taking the second MM (Physics 132) next quarter. The first mathematical methods is mostly linear algebra with some Fourier series (see link) while the second is pretty much equivalent to Complex Analysis (Math 132).

What I was wondering is should I stick with my current plan or skip Mathematical Methods and take Complex Analysis now and Linear Algebra (115B) winter? So basically, I guess it's just Boas vs. Friedberg and Fisher.

http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/catalog/catalog13-14-654.htm
http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/catalog/catalog13-14-654.htm
http://www.math.ucla.edu/ugrad/courses/math132/index.shtml

Physics news on Phys.org
As a physical chemist major you really don't need to take complex analysis at all, the other two classes are much more useful to you.

Well, it seems interesting (and it's listed as an approved elective for my major). In that case, would you recommend Mathematical Methods 1 with both Linear Algebra courses? My main concern is still whether MM will be useful or just redundant on top of Linear Algebra.

This is the right description for mathematical methods right?

Vectors and fields in space, linear transformations, matrices, and operators; Fourier series and integrals.

This is what I found after doing a search for linear algebra 115B, not sure if it's the right one but:

Linear transformations, conjugate spaces, duality; theory of a single linear transformation, Jordan normal form; bilinear forms, quadratic forms; Euclidean and unitary spaces, symmetric skew and orthogonal linear transformations, polar decomposition.

Have you taken Linear algebra 115A?

It sounds like there is a much bigger overlap between 115A and mathematical methods compared to 115B. Also, 115B seems more relevant for a pure physics, in particular quantum physics, I'm not sure that is needed for physical chemistry, the most advanced mathematics we used in our undergraduate physical chemistry units was pretty basic group theory, and it was purely conceptual.

Have you taken these mathematics units?

135. Ordinary Differential Equations.
136. Partial Differential Equations.
142. Mathematical Modeling.

Of those I would say 135 would be the best one to have taken.

Back to your question, skipping mathematical methods means you will miss out on some vector calculus and Fourier series / integrals, which are pretty important tools. After having looked at all of the descriptions with more thought I think both 115B and Complex analysis may not be the best choices, even if you have already taken 115A I think mathematical methods would be a very useful class. But yea, I took a class identical to your complex analysis class and I have only ever really used Cauchy's theorem and power series, and I am doing my MSc in physics. Though it was cool to learn some of the neat integration methods possible with contours and residues.

The most useful mathematics unit I have ever taken is linear algebra (which is similar to your 115A) and ordinary differential equations (which is similar to your 135). Partial differential equations is also up there with the most useful units I've taken (136).

Likes 1 person
I will be taking 115A fall. The only other upper division math course I have taken so far is 134 (nonlinear differential equations). 136 is out of the question (only offered spring and I already have a pretty heavy load then), but I have Farlow's book and so far I think it's one of the best Dover books (pretty much designed for self teaching). So I guess 135 seems to be the winner (maybe I can even squeeze it in this quarter), although class planning tends to play like a game of Tetris so the ultimate deciding factor will probably be best schedule fit.

Anyway, excellent information. Thank you very much for your help.

Related to Mathematical Methods or Complex Analysis?

1. What is the difference between mathematical methods and complex analysis?

Mathematical methods refer to a set of techniques and tools used to solve mathematical problems, while complex analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of complex numbers and functions.

2. How is complex analysis used in real-world applications?

Complex analysis has many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. It is used to model and analyze physical systems such as electrical circuits, fluid dynamics, and quantum mechanics. It is also used to solve problems in signal processing, image processing, and data analysis.

3. What are some key topics in complex analysis?

Some key topics in complex analysis include complex numbers, complex functions, contour integration, series expansions, and conformal mapping. Other important topics include residues, singularities, and the Cauchy-Riemann equations.

4. How do mathematical methods and complex analysis relate to each other?

Mathematical methods are essential for understanding and solving problems in complex analysis. Many mathematical techniques, such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra, are used in complex analysis to study and manipulate complex functions.

5. What are some resources for learning mathematical methods and complex analysis?

There are many textbooks, online courses, and video lectures available for learning mathematical methods and complex analysis. Some popular resources include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Complex Analysis" by Joseph Bak and Donald J. Newman.